Carp: Share the love!

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

BigCliff

Carp: Share the love!

Post by BigCliff » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:17 pm

Ok, this set me to thinking- http://www.hatches.tv/play.php?vid=374

There's got to be at least five tons of carp in the SA River between the Guenther House and the Southmost Mission. Anybody fished that area and have anything to report?

With a little baby at home, I'd love to know of a place to go catch 30lbs of fish on a fly rod in 2hrs without leaving the county.

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:26 pm

Great video. The banks of the San Antonio River might be worth persuing.

david

El General

Re: Carp: Share the love!

Post by El General » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:46 pm

BigCliff wrote:Ok, this set me to thinking- http://www.hatches.tv/play.php?vid=374

There's got to be at least five tons of carp in the SA River between the Guenther House and the Southmost Mission. Anybody fished that area and have anything to report?

With a little baby at home, I'd love to know of a place to go catch 30lbs of fish on a fly rod in 2hrs without leaving the county.
I hope they aren't related to the carp that like to give me the finger in BC. Those dudes are driving me nuts.

BigCliff

Re: Carp: Share the love!

Post by BigCliff » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:16 am

El General wrote:
BigCliff wrote:Ok, this set me to thinking- http://www.hatches.tv/play.php?vid=374

I hope they aren't related to the carp that like to give me the finger in BC. Those dudes are driving me nuts.
I'd look closely to make sure they're not Redhorse Suckers. They look quite alot like carp but are near impossible to catch. I've been frustrated by tons of them in the upper Guad and Medina.

CSJ

Post by CSJ » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:56 am

Cool video.

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:10 pm

Love the opening music. Makes me want to pack up and head out!

david

jadamk

Post by jadamk » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:22 pm

i thought that the only thing carp went for was the "cornflake and big red" fly pattern.

seriously, though, on the guad i pulled out a nice sized redhorse on a pretty small red copper john. the craziest-looking fish i've ever caught. and i ran into another fisherman who pulled out multiple on that same fly pattern.

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:25 pm

Or, if carp isn't you bag, how 'bout these.
http://www.hatches.tv/play.php?vid=250

david

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:29 pm

I caught a 3 foot Spotted Gar down at Huaco Springs a number of years back while Perch fishing. I really had my hands full as I was fishing with a 7 1/2' 4wt. When I first hooked it I really didn't know what I hooked other than it was large and powerful. When I finally got a look at it, I had one of those "What the **** is going on!" moments. I could not believe that this 3' Gar was really interested in my #14 Prince, but there was the small nymph perfectly placed on the inside edge of it's jaw. You just never know what might happen when you are fishing!
Jimbo

preast

Post by preast » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:43 pm

On central TX carp, I've had almost all my luck on olive damsels with varying amounts of weight. Depends on the depth, clarity, how active the carp are, how much they're on the move.

I've found suckers are much easier to catch than carp and feed more like trout or at least in the same type of water. I've only ever caught a couple carp in those types of runs, but tons of suckers, and on trout nymphs. Carp like slow-moving and slack water or flats on lakes, where there's an accumulation of muck to sift through.

If BC is Brushy Creek, then I agree they just refuse to play ball. I still try but I think the water is just too clear and you can't get a good cast in--I've only caught a couple out of there and tried a LOT. I suppose much like bonefishing, you get one chance to get your fly in just the right place before they're spooked. If you mean the lake (BCL), then those carp are very catchable. But that thing about emitting some pheromone must be true. You'll notice that once one carp starts acting squirrelly, they all get frenzied and high-tail it in mass. Makes it difficult to catch more than one in the same spot.

Carp a blast on a flyrod (and good eatin' too) :shock:

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:58 am

preast wrote: But that thing about emitting some pheromone must be true. You'll notice that once one carp starts acting squirrelly, they all get frenzied and high-tail it in mass. Makes it difficult to catch more than one in the same spot. :shock:
This is confirmed by Reynolds and Berryman in their book. There's a fancy scientifical term for it and everything. Seems like it starts with strach......

Thanks for the advice on the suckers. I'll try just brainwashing myself into thinking I've come upon a large trout in a riffle I've got to get a nymph down to the next time I come across one.

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:17 am

Looks like this trend might take off- http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123742286341478873.html

Personally, I'm glad the mentioned the poo and all. Will keep the crowds down.

fichef

Post by fichef » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:21 am

Gives a whole new meaning to "brown trout"
Ambiflydexterous:

The ability to tie a nail knot, or any other of several fly fishing knots, equally well with either hand.

---fichef's Glossary

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:40 am

The tag "brownliners and brownling".......ya, I guess if dirty diapers are floating by. Do you fish with exam gloves on?

david

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:04 am

No exam gloves for me.

I scouted the SA river a bit today and saw some pockets that could be quite productive. The downfall of that river is it has basically no trees on the banks to provide shade for the fishes. I'll just have to see how brave they are.