Devils River

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

preast

Devils River

Post by preast » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:32 pm

What's the best time of the year to float it?

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:31 pm

Maybe this will help. Kevin Stubbs (Expedition Outfitters) and Banning Collins (Class V Fly Fishing) are guides who make that trip, they would be good resources on all your questions...

http://www.expedition-outfitters.net/id7.html
Mark Dillow

preast

Post by preast » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:17 pm

Thanks Lab, I'm familiar with Kevin's site but I was also hoping for some personal experiences. Thanks!

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:25 am

Yeah, I hear you. I want some of those personal experiences on the Devils myself!
Mark Dillow

TrentW

Post by TrentW » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:23 am

Gerald, the guide that lives on the river, has always told me that Feb. was the best time to float for the smallmouth. LMB with spawn later in March or even April; depending on river temps. You will have a great time as long as you don't float after a heavy rain. If you get a big downpour and the water is not clear, you will suffer on the fishing. Give it at least a week for the fishing bite to get back to normal. If you are kayaking, the high river can be a blast. Your normal class II rapids will be around class IV; you will suffer in catching fish but catch a few thrills. If you are floating from the park to Geralds take out, normal or even a bit lower flow levels are fine. If you are floating all the way down to the lake make sure the levels are not low or you will be dragging a lot on your last day. If you are floating from Barksdale, make sure it is not too low or you will be dragging to you get to the park. Good luck!
TW

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:12 am

I've always heard February is the best month, as well.
Ron Mc

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:11 am

These guys impressed Whitlock when he floated the Devil's with them- http://www.guidesoftexas.com/Site/Trips.html

You've also got a good chance of having some amazing pictures of your trip.