Cibolo Creek 2/15

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

BigCliff

Cibolo Creek 2/15

Post by BigCliff » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:09 am

Fished the Creek at the nature center in Boerne yesterday. Its way overdue for a turd floater to clear out a whole bunch of muck in the bottom. The riffled portion wasn't too bad, but the long pool below it was one big black bottomed bunch of nasty.

Caught 9 total, including one decent bass. The fish were super spooky and languid, even the Greenies. I think I'll wait for a decent flood before I go back. even the "lake" in town was about 5' low. Looked plum sad.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:55 pm

The fish in the Nature Preserve tend to get beat on a lot right next to where the trail comes down to the river. So walk a ways upstream or down to find some fish that are not as educated. It's tight fishing for sure along the creek and short rods will shine here. Sometimes all you can do is sneak up behind a tree next to the creek and stick your rod around the trees and make casts upstream or down. If these fish see you, especially right over their heads, they will get lockjaw. This is magnafied by the low flows. In higher flows they seem to feel more secure. It is a fun place to fish nonetheless. Jimbo

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:49 pm

Lockjaw? If they smell you coming they move out of range! But it is a pretty place to fish.

david

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:23 am

I went a ways up, but stopped once it looked like an ongoing flat pool of water too shallow to catch spooky fish in. Its sure not at its peak prettyness right now, but its still a fun spot to fish.

Reminded me of fishing the SA river here in town.

TARH2O

Post by TARH2O » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:45 pm

Boy - don't I know about the low flow in the Cibolo. I took these pictures a few weeks ago. Its just a horrible situation - Stage 5 drought.

Definitely wait until the Cibolo gets up a bit from a few decent rains.

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:06 am

Anybody know how much the recent rains affected the creek? In town and/or the preserve?

TARH2O

Post by TARH2O » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:11 pm

When I went through town on Sunday the creek was well up but it is still down an estimated 5'. With a few more good rains the creek should be flowing like normal but Lord knows when that will be.

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:52 pm

Thanks.

I've been checking the streamflow on this handy site http://water.usgs.gov/waterwatch/?m=real&w=map&r=tx and noticed it hadn't really increased. I figured they were trying to fill the lake there in town, and it sounds like that was right.

BigCliff

Re: Cibolo Creek 2/15

Post by BigCliff » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:02 pm

Anybody know if any of the recent rains have cleared this thing out at all?
I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer, and I practice moderation in moderation.