Fly fishing in Costa Rica

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

jadamk

Fly fishing in Costa Rica

Post by jadamk » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:07 pm

We are headed to Costa Rica in March. Any suggestions on guides would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Coconut Groves

Post by Coconut Groves » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:01 am

What area are you going to? There are trout and peacock bass in the mountains, snook where the river meets the oceans, and lots of opportunities offshore.
"Strip... Strip... Strip...... Fish On!"

jadamk

Post by jadamk » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:36 pm

we're going to quepos -- on the pacific side. i'm not so interested in billfishing -- i'd rather either fresh or salt water fly fish.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:00 pm

You should consider flyfishing for Sailfish. It's a bait and tease situation, running hookless plugs and when they come up, they pull the plugs out of the way and you cast a big popper on a flyrod. I seen it many times on TV but never done it myself, It should be a hoot! If not that, try for Roosterfish in close to the shoreline. Jimbo

Joel Garcia

Post by Joel Garcia » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:20 am

:D
Last edited by Joel Garcia on Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

El General

Post by El General » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:37 pm

jadamk wrote:we're going to quepos -- on the pacific side. i'm not so interested in billfishing -- i'd rather either fresh or salt water fly fish.
Fly fishing for billfish is the biggest draw in Quepos (I lived their for a while). You can run up one of the rivers their and catch these little fish that eat flowers, but I can't remember the name of the fish. Their isn't much inshore. Maybe black snook in the river mouths.

All the inshore fishing is for bottom feeders like snapper.

Capt. JP

Post by Capt. JP » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:07 pm

If you are going to the Pacific side then a billfishing trip is in order. I was at the Los Suenos Resort near the town of Jaco last summer and went out with Brandon Keene. Despite it being the worst time of the year for fishing, we managed to hook up on 4 sails and put 3 in the boat plus 1 good dorado. I also was not interested in billfishing before going there. But once there you realize that if you're ever gonna do it now's the time. Those fish are huge. I plan on going back this fall armed with a 12 or 14 wt. and see if I can get one of those big boys on the fly.

This was my first billfish and the experience was unreal even on conventional tackle. Sight casting to reds and exploring the Hill Country are still tops for me, but when you are in one of the top billfish destinations in the world you just gotta take advantage of it. Trips there are reasonable in price and most captains seem to know what they are doing. If you do decide to do it then make sure you go with an experienced fly fishing captain. Good Luck.
Fish long fish hard: you never know