Medina Whites?

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

BigCliff

Medina Whites?

Post by BigCliff » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:00 pm

Howdy all,
I know some of y'all, helped fund Jimbo's trip this summer, and once learned from EdN the answer to the ages old toilet-seat dilemna. I'm back in SA after a 6 year (too-damn-long) stint in the DFW Metromess. Used to work at the Tackle Box and am SOOOO glad to be back here where the rivers are clear, the bottoms hard, and both the Trouts and Reds close.

Question: What happens to the white bass run up from Medina Lake in a year like this where the lake is about 8 YARDS low? I've caught Whites from Ruede's place before, but do the resident experts think there's any chance of them making that trek this year?

Here's the last decent report I took the time to put together. http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forum ... -6445.html The day's grayness made the pics kinda blah, but its scenery we all love.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:18 pm

Howdy Cliff... Nice little forum there...
Helped..... that sale funded the trip and some more.....
Ron could probably answer this for you. I was up there in October and it was real low then. Not much rain out there since. As far as I know there are no falls or cascades to block their way up into the river. Still I don't think they move too far up the river even when flows are higher. Most of my past success had been downstream of Ruede's. I know back in the 50's and 60's we used to catch them at the upper end of the lake which we reached by boat. So best guess is walking a long way down from Ruede's Camp.
Jimbo

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:32 am

I've not been there in low water myself, but seem to remember that Ron reported a sizable "falls" on the way down to the lake that was impassable for the fish at low water. He doesn't usually make his first run over there until about Valentine's Day (how romantic), but he could probably give you an idea from past experience.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:15 am

I must say that I have only been fishing Ruede's for the last 6 years or so. These have been years of relatively high water. This is the lowest the lake has been since I started fishing there. In some of the years I caught Whites and Stripers right where Red Bluff Creek dumps into the river. When I went this past fall I walked downstream a good distance, maybe 1 1/2 miles or so. There maybe something like a falls below that, but I didn't see one over the ground I covered. I too now remember Ron saying something about the whites not being able to make it upstream from the lake in dry years. Hard for me to imagine when the first time I went down there in 2002 and the lake had backed up to Red Bluff Creek and you had to cross the creek and then walk upstream to look for a place to cross the Medina. Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:49 am

I don't know the exact lake level, but there is a waterfall that shows up about 2 miles upriver from Pop's (4 miles downriver from Ruede's) and pins the white bass run there.
Not a bad time to take a boat or paddle upriver from Pop's.
You don't want to wade at Pop's - it's all quicksand.
Ron Mc

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:44 pm

Jimbo Roberts wrote:Howdy Cliff... Nice little forum there...
Helped..... that sale funded the trip and some more.....

Jimbo
Any chance that earns me any GRTU guest pass usage? Us having the little one made me think lease membership was a bad investment this year.

Dang, we still need to get to that bottle you gave us......

Willy

Post by Willy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:18 pm

Is Ruede's open to the public? For a fee? I paddled a kayak up from Pop's a few times this summer but never made it that far. If it isn't a sworn secret, could someone point me to Ruede's or PM me. That would be my "backyard" river when I only have a half day to fish.

Thanks

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:54 am

I sent you a pm with details and a mapquest - noticed you haven't read it yet.
Ron Mc

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:10 pm

Ruede's last year:

david