A Few whites at Rebecca boat launch

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

pontoonman

A Few whites at Rebecca boat launch

Post by pontoonman » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:32 pm

Caught 3 large female whites and some Guad and blacks today in about 3 hours of trolling small cranks.

Rebecca boat launch is high and dry and closed to motorboat launching. Most boat traffic has to come from main lake and is nothing at this point, because of shallow water and stumps. Access to the main river here is limited to a small area by foot traffic on the launch side several hundred yards down. There are some good fly standing spots within 1/2 mile in either direction on the opposite bank, but water is still very deep in the main channel. Heads up that you will need a small craft to work the area. At least a float tube, but a kayak or canoe would be better. Anything much larger can't put in here.

Enjoyed the quiet as well as sunshine, clear water and moderate temperatures today....

Pon

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:44 pm

High temp over 80 today, Saturday 1-3. Water greenish to murky in some spots because of recent drizzle? Worked area from same launch point upstream for about 2 1/2 hours using same technique. Results were 5 very large female whites and 1 smaller male + other bass. Could this be start of some kind of run, or just confusion due to abnormal drought and high temperature? May try working down from the Rebecca bridge area next time.

Pon

AustinPynes

Post by AustinPynes » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:20 pm

Where is Rebecca boat launch?

Have any fish reports since the weather cooled off?

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:30 pm

Rebecca launch http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publication ... aces.phtml

Haven't been out since the cool down. Last Thursday 1-9 was a very warm day and the last time I was out. Had the best day ever trolling for whites, often hooking 2 at the same time on two rods. A fishing friend with lots of experience seems to think this isn't the main run, though. He thought it has more to do with extremely low motor boat traffic and that these catches are permanent residents concentrated by the low levels of the river.

Pon

AustinPynes wrote:Where is Rebecca boat launch?

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:27 pm

Went out for 2 hours yesterday afternoon, Thur 1-15 under less ideal conditions. Wind caused some chop and cold cut my trip short. But whites are still there, although fewer than the 15 of the previous week.

Pon
AustinPynes wrote:Where is Rebecca boat launch?

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:43 pm

Windy and warm day Sunday 1-18-09 and the whites are still there. Friend of mine in a kayak also caught a 24" striper, right before I was going out, about 3 pm. There were also some mix of Guads and Blacks this time. Only saw one motor boat and one kayak in about 3 hours of fishing. Surprised that deserted in both directions from the launch for a holiday weekend. Bank bait fishermen were bunched at the bend area which is the only point of access without a boat of some kind, but I didn't see them catch anything.

Pon

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:59 pm

They might have been dedicated Footballs Fans like me and glued in front of the TV watching the NFC and AFC playoffs. They were great games by the way. This is why I hardly ever fish this late of the year on Sundays and some Saturdays. And never on SuperBowl Sunday!
Jimbo

pilot0829

Post by pilot0829 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:33 pm

Went to the upper Guad yesterday and hiked from Rebecca Creek Crossing all the way down to the bend and now waterfall(due to waterflow). Probably about 3 or 4 miles round trip. The water was crystal clear and the weather could'nt have been better, but we just could'nt produce anything except for 2 small Guadalupe bass. The low water flows made it extremely easy to see the bottom of almost the entire river. We saw absolutley nothing. Just curious if we were in the right place or if they were further downstream?

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:25 am

Further downstream, see above link.

Pon
pilot0829 wrote:Went to the upper Guad yesterday and hiked from Rebecca Creek Crossing all the way down to the bend and now waterfall(due to waterflow). Probably about 3 or 4 miles round trip. The water was crystal clear and the weather could'nt have been better, but we just could'nt produce anything except for 2 small Guadalupe bass. The low water flows made it extremely easy to see the bottom of almost the entire river. We saw absolutley nothing. Just curious if we were in the right place or if they were further downstream?

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:58 am

Here's an update from another forum with pictures, http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... p?t=112093

Look under Freshwater, Guadalupe River 1-30 and 1-29 by Smittys. Stripers are coming in, time for revenge for what they do to rainbows below the dam :D

I've seen reports from some of you that work the OTHER upriver area from Rebecca bridge downriver in the past with fly rigs. May be a lot longer walk to get to whites this year from that direction. Rapids series upriver are probably almost dry or reduced to a tiny trickle....

Pon

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:39 pm