Anything still biting?

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

JessFields

Anything still biting?

Post by JessFields » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:41 pm

So, my recent renewal of fishing has had me poking around local creeks... to no avail. Is it just too cold?

Anyone fishing with success for perch or bass this time of year?

-Jess.

texasmr2

Post by texasmr2 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:20 pm

Jess,
Fish gotta eat just like we do. In the winter time the bass are more sluggish so alot of times a slower presentation will increase your success and you must find the depth that is holding the most fish. Hit and miss bro so I change lure's, lure color's alot while trying different speed's, thus leading to a different presentation for each lure.

Gregg

JessFields

Post by JessFields » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:39 am

Makes sense Gregg, I guess I'm just so used to the small-stream fish jumping all over the right fly.

texasmr2

Post by texasmr2 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:03 pm

JessFields wrote:Makes sense Gregg, I guess I'm just so used to the small-stream fish jumping all over the right fly.
I hate when that happens :lol: !

Gregg

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:32 pm

I have caught river bass in December before, but it literally requires putting the fly in front of their face, with a crawling retrieve.
After that, they don't have the metabolism to fight and you literally drag them in.
They also don't have the metabolism to change color, so instead of seeing their aggression markings, you will see them in their full camo.
A 15" endemic bass that I brought up over bare limestone was white as marble, with powdery gray markings down his side, and an iridescent blue sheen over his whole body - striking coloration.

Nymph fishing for bluegill can go all through the winter, and you will find them to be a bit more aggressive.
Ron Mc

stiles

Post by stiles » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:17 pm

I caught a nice little gaudalupe bass on Friday (12/12) at Rockin' R. I thought it was a trout the whole time I was bringing it in. As I was reaching back for my landing net it broke the surface and I saw it for the first time. Go figure.

~~~ ><Ǽ>