A Little Warm Water Fishing

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:27 pm

I went down to the river today to check all the combos on our locks. I had some business to attend to in the morning first and it was noon by the time I reached Sattler.
First, a little of the local cuisine.......
If you have never stopped and eaten at the BQ Shack at River Road/2673 in Sattler, this is what you are missing......
Ummm Ummm Good !!!
This makes any trip to the Guadalupe worthwhile, even if a little work is envolved.
I finished lunch and then on to check all the locks.

By the time I finished it was after 2pm and knowing the temperatures were close to 70, I decided to head to the lower river and see if there was a little warm water fishing still to be had. These fish can get awful picky this time of year. I don't know the exact reason: major cooling of the water temps at night, rapid changes in barometric pressure, Cypress leaves falling in the river, low flows, lack of oxygen maybe, I don't know but they can shut off on any day and be gang busters the next.
But lucky for me they were still biting today. I started off with a topwater popper and caught a few. I changed to some large nymphs and caught fewer. So back to topwater for the rest of the day. Here's a few.....
Big.....
Bigger.....
Bass.....
And yes they were taking it with gusto.....
Barbless sure makes it easy to remove even the deeply hooked fish.
I spent a little time picking up some trash and felt good about it.....
I watched the sunset as the norther blew in.....
Another good, if short, day!
Jimbo

Big Tiki

Post by Big Tiki » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:51 am

Jimbo,

What brand poppers are you using? Are they foam?

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:03 pm

Nope, I generally use "hard" poppers that use cork or other hard synthetic bodies. The ones I have been using lately are called Booglebugs. I use either the chartreuse or dark olive depending. They also come in orange but I have not had much success with that color. These are a bit big for Perch, but are just right more most stream sized Bass. Jimbo

ornjblud

Post by ornjblud » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:46 pm

I spent fri on the guad with a buddy of mine. We spent the morning below the dam. My buddy caught a couple of small trout and a few sunnies. We left around 11am as it was starting to warm up.

After a quick stop at the outfitter's and lunch at Cooper's in Gruene we spent the rest of the day around the 1st crossing. From ~3:30 to sundown we were pulling sunnies and smallies out left and right. They were banging on small buggers and cypert minnows. And as you pointed out....with a lot of gusto.

In fact, even the trout were pretty aggressive. Here's a trout that nailed a white bugger and when my buddy went to release it found it had another fish in it's mouth! Talk about opportunistic feeding.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:36 am

you passed up the chopped BBQ sandwich for sliced?

they have the best chopped ever...
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:01 pm

I usually get sliced, gut buster style, but the chopped is very good too! The key is to ask for extra sauce, pickles, onions and some sauce on the side for dipping! Just don't stand downwind of me for a while. And the truth be told I think a little extra sauce transfered from my fingers may increase my luck! Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:49 pm

Mick claims my cigars are fish attractant.
Ron Mc

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:33 pm

Hey Jimbo, where can I get some trash bags like that?
Mark Dillow

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:43 pm

Ask any Outfitter and they will be happy to give you some. I have a stack left over from one of last years stockings. I always carry a couple on me (in my vest and in my gear bags) for when the mood strikes me. This last one was triggered by a 6 pack of glass bottles and one thing lead to another and I filled 2 bags in about 10 minutes. It's good to look back and see no cans, bottles, zip-lock bags, or bottles of sunscreen.
Jimbo

dlcole
Site Admin

Post by dlcole » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:13 am

The BBQ is very good...also, the drive through Hamburger place, across River Road from there has a very good hamburger is you are not into BBQ. I'm so looking forward to the season this year...we need to start beating the Tom Tom for a good (I mean really good one) COLD front to get water temps down and trout active.
David

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:17 am

Water temp is looking good now. Yesterday's low was 52 and the high was 58. Now if it would just stay this way consistently....hopefuly we are fast approaching if not already at that time of year.

We really need rain and increased flows. Pray for rain.
Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

bhigdon

Post by bhigdon » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:03 am

Jimbo,

That popper looks very familiar.........

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:02 pm

It should! It is the one I used while you took me fishing on the Colorado. Man that was a good day! I'd like to wear one out again there in the future. There's nothing like a Topwater bite! I believe that the water temps are good to go till next spring, but we really need some water if we are to get through next summer....... Tom tom tom tom...... Jimbo

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:53 pm

Ron,

Brand o' cigar?

david

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:39 pm

Don't get Ron started! He's almost as bad about cigars as he is about glass rods and antique reels.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.