the fall bite

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

Ron Mc

the fall bite

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:46 pm

The fall bite is on.
The fish are out of the holes and up in the riffles and pocketwater.
Went to my favorite place in the hill country yesterday.
There was one long stretch of pocketwater and skinny rutted dolomite in a cypress tunnel, where it was virtually a fish every cast, and it was a strike every cast.
I even caught fish that jumped and spit the fly, then cast right back to them and caught them again.
I caught well over 50 little endemic bass - Texas brook trout - in the place they belong.
I'll shut up now.

Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:45 pm

I was sad that I missed this one. I was of course in Austin rooting on the Horns in their valent effort to defeat the Red Raiders. It was truely a great game with the Longhorns coming back from a 19pt 1st half deficit. Well we thought the horns had won it going ahead 33-32, but with 1:37 remaining in the game, there was too much time left on the clock.
Anyway I wish I had been in good shape for the Sunday morning GTG. Looks like the way I remember it only better!
Jimbo

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:54 am

Wow those cypress trees are gorgeous!
Mark Dillow

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:15 am

My leg has finally healed up enough to wet wade and just in time as the water temperatures are dropping enough to consider waders. I couldn't stand it any longer and loaded up the car to cherry pick a few spots on the upper Guadalupe. I bet Ron knows everyone too!

First stop is a place that I have driven over a 1000 times and never fished.....
Fixed......
Second spot is also a familiar one to those that know.....
The last spot is one that has become a favorite.....
I just love catching these little guys.....
It wasn't a great day, skies where bright, winds were on the high side, but enough action to keep me busy.
Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:17 pm

that was a motivated day, Jimbo.

I'm surprised you didn't see Ewell at your first stop - that's one of his favs
Ron Mc

stiles

Post by stiles » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:42 pm

Looks like something took a bite out if the first bass' tail...

~~~ ><Ǽ>

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:54 pm

What can I say, I have a fast car. I originally was going to straight to what would turn out to be my last spot. I drove over that first bridge and it looked so inviting, so I drove around and tried it. The second spot is one that I expected to at least see some bigger Bass crusing around, but caught nothing but the little guys. The last spot of course usually produces big numbers, but the bite was definitely off, plus I did not get down past the narrows into that other section. On the way back to the car, just as I was getting out of the water I noticed a electrical relay, then another one, then a master cylinder, sideview mirror, and a bunch of other parts. I picked them up and carried them back to the car. I went back to pickup some other parts as there was obviously a bad wreck there, where the vehicle missed the curve, drove off into the river, and crashed heavily. I hope leaking fluids did not cause a fish kill there. Still I think that the overall lack of success wednesday was due more to fishing conditions or at least I hope so. And lastly, I bet that Bass had a Heron try to get him and only clipped it's tail. Jimbo