TFO Fiberglass Rod

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

Alex Argyros

TFO Fiberglass Rod

Post by Alex Argyros » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:27 am

I've been fishing my new TFO 6'9" fiberglass rod lately and I think that it's perfect for certain Hill Country streams. Constructed of S glass, it's a little faster than other fiberglass rods, making it very friendly for those of us who have fished graphite a long time.

I've been in touch with Rick Pope of TFO and he tells me that the batch of S glass from which the rod is made is used up. The future of fiberglass rods at TFO, especially ones slightly longer than the 6'9" model they now have (in a limited edition in their finesse series) depends on the popularity of their current offering. I urge GRTU members to try the rod out. I know that it's for sale at Living Waters Fly Shop in Round Rock, but I assume that it can be found in other shops as well.

Alex
Last edited by Alex Argyros on Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:32 pm

I have cast the rod at Living Waters Fly shop, and it is definitely going on my Christmas wish list...with some Sharkskin flyline
Mark Dillow

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:10 pm

I have an e-friend in Japan who says the rods are all the talk over there right now - he will find a market in Tokyo, as well.
Ron Mc

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:50 am

The rod is not easy to find. It is not carried by many online catalogs from the places like Cabela's and Bass Pro and Feather-Craft. I've been in touch with Jim Shulin and Banning Collins of TFO and they suggest having your local fly shop special order the rod for you.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:38 pm

Feather-Craft has now added this rod to their winter catalog and website. I have one on order, to arrive next week (I hope).
Mickfly

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:22 pm

My new TFO glass rod arrived at the same time as the ice storm, and now I can't even get off the front or back porch without landing on my behind, so a test of the rod will await better weather. It looks nice, though, and has a good "wiggle" to it. (That's a technical term we use in the fly rod appaisal and evaluation business.)
Mickfly

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:25 pm

I bought one from Chris Johnson's Living Waters Fly Fishing ship in Round Rock about 6 weeks ago. I used it once on some local waters, and I really like it a lot! It will be a great Hill Country rod. I bought some Sharkskin line for it, but I haven't had it wet yet.
Mark Dillow

bhigdon

Post by bhigdon » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:03 am

Has Chris got his own ship now............cool.

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:06 am

DOH! I got spell check, but not stupid check :P
Mark Dillow