Couple of bass

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

brandonf14

Couple of bass

Post by brandonf14 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:54 pm

Heres a couple of LM I caught tonight on the 6 wt.

Brandon
Last edited by brandonf14 on Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:25 pm

fat fish !!
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:43 pm

Largemouth Bass on fly..... Excellent !!!

Ron, I wish you could have come with Bill Higdon and myself today. We floated the lower Colorado around Webberville, as you know. The water was very clear and still moving at a good pace. I was down there to help Bill figure out some patterns on the Bass as he will be guiding some clients there this week. We had great weather being overcast most of the day with light breezes.

I'm not sure how much I helped in discovering different patterns that will work throughout the day. I started off.... you guessed it before I write it.... throwing one of my favorite poppers. I caught the first one just a few feet from the boat launch. There was hardly a time I didn't go 5 minutes without a fish on or a missed strike all day.

Bill wanted me to try some different streamers, the first one, a white and gray cat's whisker, didn't draw a strike after repeated casts (N.B. that was on a floating line, not sinking, and that may have been the problem) but it was probably the wrong color. Bill said "It ain't no use unless it's chartreuse!", so I switched to a deerhair streamer with lead eyes in chartreuse and white and caught a couple of fish on that, again probably because of the color.

Then we got back to some shallow, shaded banks, and I went back to the popper. Fish after fish came up and smacked my fly. I had one Bass leap out of the water and attack the popper on the way down. I had another strike the fly. I struck by stripping the flyline, but missed, and moved the fly some 10 feet. The fly had barely stopped when the same fish (probably) charged the fly again, struck, and I caught him this time around. After that you could not take that popper off my rod. After about 30 bass the first one finally wore out and I tied on another (I had already caught a bunch on it before though). By the end of the day I had caught an easy 45 Bass, Bill thought it was probably conservative as I lost count several times, along with about 12-15 Perch, I tried but could not pull it away from them fast enough. You know how stubborn I can be when catching Bass on top!

Bill has the pictures on his camera and I will try to get some of them posted later. A great day of fishing from about 10:30am to about 4pm. Gentlemen's hours I know, but no regrets on arriving in the middle of a lazy morning, and still catching my fill before dinnertime.
Jimbo

stiles

Post by stiles » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:01 am

Jimbo - You can call me next time. You know I wasn't working!
-Pete

~~~ ><Ǽ>

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:39 pm

remarkable.
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:50 am

Here's a couple of the better ones Bill sent me.
Looks like my collar was messed up all day.
Here's a nice Smallie, if you can say that about a fish that threatens our Guadalupes.....
And a nice largemouth.....
Yeap, Bill really put me on them down on the Colorado. It's nice we have so many places to fish when the Guadalupe below Canyon is running too warm to fish for the Trout there. I think I will do this again!
Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:35 am

you do look better with a fish in hand.
Ron Mc

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:20 pm

Sounds like a great trip, Jimbo.

Did you notice any places where a boatless guy could access the river and wade?

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:50 pm

This was the first time that I had fished this stretch of water, but I did not see any good area around the access points that you could wade into the river. There are many areas along the this stretch where where is some wading water at the current flows, but you would need something that would float you to get to them. The river is pretty tame right now at the current flow rates and anything that could float you being a tube, canoe, kayak, or john boat would work. You would also need some kind of propulsion, paddles, oars, trolling motor or small outboard to work downstream through the long pools with the ever present southeast winds. We used Bill's driftboat and it was prefect for this kind of fishing, stable platform, lots of room for tackle and refreshments, and easy to row. On the bright side, I used to fish alot below Longhorn Dam/ Town Lake and there is good water that is easily accessed and easy to wade for several miles. So Longhorn Dam, 183 and 973 offer some access as well as the the new toll road I hear. Jimbo

stiles

Post by stiles » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:12 pm

Alex Argyros wrote:Sounds like a great trip, Jimbo.

Did you notice any places where a boatless guy could access the river and wade?
I've waded large sections in front of Longhorn Dam and around the Montopolis Bridge. Its best to fish these areas with a friend for two reasons. First, some sketchy fellows hang out around there from time to time. Second, there is no warning bell for releasing water from the dam and water levels can rise with out warning. But there are fun little bass and perch and urban adventures to be had.

But looking the other way, its easy to forget your fishing the 'hood.

Cheers, Pete

~~~ ><Ǽ>

velo49

Post by velo49 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:55 pm

A buddy and I waded the section under TX 130 last Sunday. Alvin D. drove up with a drift boat, but the bank is way too steep. We hammered bass of all ilks and very aggressive sunfish. They liked sneaky petes and british catseyes. Hard to believe a river below a metropolitan area the size of Austin could be so clear and clean and peaceful. We are blessed.

stiles

Post by stiles » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:19 pm

You can see the sneaky pete in the mouth of the teeny bass in the picture above. The thing I like about the picture is how well you can see the dam and power plant in the back ground. The Colorado can be a great place to fish considering the city upstream...

~~~ ><Ǽ>

jsrieck

Post by jsrieck » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:03 pm

Jimbo, was that your Sage Smallmouth rod you were using? And that reel - is that a Pate?

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:36 pm

Since I was fishing from a drift boat it would be terrible if I didn't bring several rods, so I did. I used a RPLXI 890 with a Billy Pate Salmon and SA Redfish line most of the time, I also fished my Sage Smallmouth Rod with a Fenwick Class IV and a Sage XP 690. Most of the casting I was doing was in the 50-70' range becuase the water was low and clear making the fish kind of spooky. Therefore the RPLXI was the right choice. The Smallmouth rod is really more suited for short to medium range casts with big flys.
Jimbo

rivergeek

Post by rivergeek » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:04 pm

Jimbo Roberts wrote:Largemouth Bass on fly..... Excellent !!!
Ron, I wish you could have come with Bill Higdon and myself today. We floated the lower Colorado around Webberville, as you know.
Jimbo
Jimbo/Bill,

Did you put in and take out at Webberville Park or float down to another takeout, like FM 969? I have canoed that stretch, launching at FM 969 bridge south of Webberville. It's a 14-15 mile run from 969 to Bastrop, good for an overnighter but too long for day fishing w/ no motor.

THX!
Rich G