Lower Pedernales (Above Reimer's) in late August

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

jchristensen77

Lower Pedernales (Above Reimer's) in late August

Post by jchristensen77 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:33 pm

I hope these pics work...This will be my first picture post. I will keep it small until I get the hang of it.

I fished the Pedernales (upstream of Hamilton Pool Road) and did really well on one fly. All I had was a green slider/popper and a hares ear #14, so I went for the top-water action with the foam popper/slider. I lost count of the sunfish, rio grande cichlids (quickly becoming one of my favorites, just as selective as the wisest PA browns) and guadalupe/spotted/smallmouth bass hybrids(???) Maybe someone can set me straight on the type of bass I was catching..."Of course this was one of the smaller ones"... :wink:

I usually hit this spot in March and April with white weighted wolly buggers, for "the you know whats", but this has turned out to be a nice and quiet mid-summer fishery. I shared this stretch of river with buzzards, an angry spotted gar, cottonmouths and a lone coyote... A three weight and wading in sandals!
Thats my idea of flyfishing....
Enjoy.... (I'll keep my fingers crossed this works...)

Last edited by jchristensen77 on Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~><~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
><~}}}}]]*>
><~}}}}]]*>

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:06 am

looks like a good trip. Probably a very good area to fish in these low flows - those shade trees also look like prime real-estate
Ron Mc

jchristensen77

Post by jchristensen77 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:25 pm

Jeez...talk about low flows in the summer. I;m not accustomed to such swings in drought like I have experienced down here in Texas. Not a bad thing in this area though, as the fish (like you stated) were holed-up in bathtub sized plunge pools, with some nice shade. Fish on every cast! That cant be beat (but the lack of parking in this area is kina a bummer)...

Just for a contrast, this is the EXACT same spot only five months ago! The second picture down is the plunge pool where I was popping fish all over...Maybe I'll learn how to take a decent picture without my thumb blocking part of it...

Lets hope for rain...Keep that inflow at the magic number for Canyon Lake...(thats a whole other complicated issue though!) Although I heard the rain down here last year was not kind to many of you folks...
><~}}}}]]*>
><~}}}}]]*>

Jack

Post by Jack » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:40 pm

I have driven over that crossing and wasn't sure if you could park there.
Is there any legal parkng?

Jack

jchristensen77

Post by jchristensen77 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:33 pm

There is only room for about two cars. If you are coming from the Riemers entrance, the two spots will be RIGHT before the lower water crossing. Pull in really close. You will not be totally off the road, but the Sheriff advised me it was okay in that spot only. As for the other side, where there is a huge gravel bar (the left-hand side) don’t even think about it.

Also, as usual try to stay in the water and dint tread on the downstream land, as the owner isn’t much of a people person.

Of course, if you don’t want to deal with all of that, just drive into Riemers, pay a few bucks and take the 2-mile hike upstream. This can be a bit tiring on some days, because you need to "technically" be in the water, and when you come near the Hamilton Pool Reserve, don’t get caught with your fly rod on the shore.... just stay in the water....

Good luck!
><~}}}}]]*>
><~}}}}]]*>