First lower Guadalupe catfish

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

CSJ

First lower Guadalupe catfish

Post by CSJ » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Finally caught my first Guad catfish this morning. Caught this one and about 15 perch. Not a 100+ fish day like Jimbo has but a pretty good day for me anyway.

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:43 pm

Very nice!
Mark Dillow

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:44 pm

I didn't actually catch 100 today. I was down there Perch Jerking from 11am till 5pm and caught only 56,
But there were some Dandies!
The water had more slit in it today down were I was fishing, more tubers than I would expected too. The number of bites was off for me today. Still they were better than average in size and that worked over the 5wt. nicely!
I also caught Bass, the largest being a 14" Largemouth.
Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:04 am

catfish are fun on a fly rod.

I had a wild day last weekend at the Pedernales headwaters. The wide slow water was all turbid, and the tailouts and runs were gin clear.
So was sight fishing a lot of nice little pod bass. Between these and bluegill, it was a 40+fish day.
Image Image

but in one of the ponds, I hooked up a black buffalo that had to be 25 lbs.
Of course, I was fishing my Tonka Queen cane and 1917 Hardy
The fish porpoised a dozen times (so I got some very good looks at it), ran me way into the backing, charged me, headed out again, and this time slowly trudged me into the backing as I was pointing the rod straight down and thumb-braking the reel. He finally came unhooked. Beautiful fish - 10 minutes of extreme fish-violence. Every time the fish porpoised, the shock of the visual mass of the fish was brand new. I didn't expect to land him and certainly didn't want to damage the rod or reel, so I got everything out of it I could ask for.
Ron Mc

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:20 pm

"extreme fish violence"...those words make me smile...
Mark Dillow