I did a Llano Float

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

jsrieck

I did a Llano Float

Post by jsrieck » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:57 pm

Weekend before this past one I floated from White's Crossing down to Martin's Crossing. Parked my car at Homer Martin's ranch and they shuttled me up to White's Crossing. The folks at Homer Martin's ranch were really helpful and they have those great cabins right there on the river! Anyway, I got dropped off about 4p at the White's Crossing and was able to float down to the James River Junction by dusk. Put out my blue tarp on the rock bar at the James River Junction and slept under the stars after a delicious Cliff Bar dinner. Up at dawn and floated down to Martin's crossing by about 11a. The take-out was easy.

No pictures - sorry! I know it makes these little stories a bunch better. But you can expect crystal clear water, gorgeous scenery, and a nice relaxing trip all-around. I think I saw 6 people on the bank the entire trip.

The flows were okay, I only had to drag the riffles between the long pools.

I didn't fish too much - usually I get anxious when I do a float for the first time and so I keep paddling to see what is around the next bend...an affliction that has plagued mankind for eternity!