The New Medina

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

Jimbo Roberts

The New Medina

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:52 am

I had to get my feet wet somewhere this week and I ended up on the Medina at Ruedi's Camp. All I can say is, If you haven't fished the Medina in the last 9 months like me, you are in for a shock! There must have been some sort of flood on Red Bluff Creek, because where it meets the Medina there is a new gravel bar that pushed the river away from the Bluff some 50 feet.
I know it changes every year, but this is a big change and the area downstream changed considerably also.
I walked much further downstream than usual looking for new holes to fish. The lake has receeded downstream and after about 1 mile I gave up looking for it after awhile. The area downstream has turned into very shallow flats with the river running so low.
The water was extremely clear and low, so it was easy to understand why the Bass where so spooky.
I still caught some but not in the numbers that most trips. They were ganged up in the deeper pools mostly, especially the larger ones. I had only one real good one on, about 3 lbs, and it broke me off.
The Rio grandes are really taking over. They were everywhere! Not many big ones, but a bunch of medium sized ones.
I caught this image of the pale Moon rising before dusk.
The Medina is always full of surprises!
Jimbo

TrentW

Post by TrentW » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:37 pm

The Medina suffers with low water levels. They get spooky and lathargic when the water level is lower than normal. I have had some of my best times on the upper Medina river in Spring to early Summer. Nice pics.
TW