Help me choose: four weight or five weight?

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

k smith

Post by k smith » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:16 am

Here are a few for sale that might be just right (no affiliation with seller, etc):

http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/topic/6093

k smith

Post by k smith » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:33 pm

Hi Jsrieck,
Any luck with making a decision?
Did you find some of the answers you were looking for?
All the best,
Kelly

jsrieck

Post by jsrieck » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:39 pm

hey y'all

Thanks for all the great advice!

What I have been wrestling with are all the variables. It seems what is sensible are two outfits: a four weight and a 6 weight. However, many have said that a 5 weight with a 6 wt line might be "the ultimate", as it will load the rod on shorter casts. But if I get the 5wt then I really ought to get a 3wt rather than a 4wt, but a 3wt is more of a panfish rod rather than a small bass, trout, panfish rod. Though the panfish will be fun on a 3wt! I just don't really like catching panfish....

I think the most sensible option is to purchase a rod in every line weight and in every length! Ha ha.

Seriously, I really do think there is a place for the new "Tournament Bass Rods" from Scott, Sage, and TFO. Getting the smallmouth version in one of those rods and a 9' 5wt seems like an ideal Hill Country duo. Add a bamboo or fiberglass 4wt as a pet rod and I will be all set-up!

But then I also think about the just being practical and getting a four weight and six weight and just be done with it...the six weight is also good for calm days on the coast and bonefish in Mexico....and the four weight is a great rod for trout in NM and CO.

Any further thoughts?

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:58 pm

I agree with your long term strategy to purchase "all of the above." It is a quest I've been on for over a dozen years, and I've found it both expensive and rewarding. I won't say how many I'm up to now (for fear it might incriminate me), but I can say I have rods from 000 weight to 12 weight in a variety of materials, lengths, and actions.

I began simply, with an entry level Sage two piece, nine foot, six weight, then was offered a fancier eight foot, four weight demo and matching reel for well below retail and I was off and running (or wading). My quest has slowed, but never stopped.

Just take the plunge and enjoy!
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

eric_burnett

Post by eric_burnett » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:03 pm

I don' know what others think of this but, I have really found the break over point for big rods vs. small rods at the 5/4 weight crossover.

For example, a scott 3 and 4 weight feel similar to me, same with a 5 and 6 weight, but the 3/4 weights feel bendier and the 5/6 feel much stiffer. So even if you get a 4 and five weight, you really won't be in that bad shape.

To a large extent though, you may have the problem of too many choices.

Even humble fiberglass rod come in forms from used junk all the way too $500+ Scott F series rods being offered as the goody to the TU calender campaign. So, you may just want to commit to the fact that these won't be that last rods that you will buy and start learning the Sportsman's Prayer:

"Dear Lord, when I die, please do not let my wife sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it"

Amen

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:16 pm

You also need to consider all the different actions out there. Comparing a Sage 490XP to a Sage 490SLT (new series called Z Axis and ZLT) and you will get an entirely different impression of the rod you are using. Different lines like the Scientific Anglers "GPX" and their "Trout" series or "XPS" as well as weight forward versus double taper lines will also make the rod feel differently. So this is more than just what line weight rod should I choose. But If I were to have only 2 rods for Trout fishing they would be a 4 weight and a 6 weight!
Jimbo

k smith

Post by k smith » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:02 pm

One really nice thing about fiberglass rods is that they are pretty cheap - especialy the vintage ones. You can get a whole closet-full (and have one in almost every length and line weight you desire) for about the price of just one new, high-end, graphite rod.

Fiberglass is definately the blue-collar way to go..... :D

Good luck!

k smith

Post by k smith » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:05 pm

Of course, "blue-collar bamboo" is a lot of fun, too.

If you're interested, some of the members on this forum are experts and love to share their knowledge and experience....

You never know unless you try......

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:40 pm

TFO is finally introducing the 6'9" glass 5-wt. as part of their Finesse series.
This is the perfect hill country rod.
http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/rods/finesse.html
Ron Mc

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:51 pm

As someone who's fished the 6'9" TFO glass for a couple of weeks, I second Ron's sentiment. It's a great rod, and a steal at under $200.

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:15 pm

My small river preference seems to be pretty close to Jimbo's: I fish a 8' 5wt St Croix Avid. Very nice utilitarian stick, and the prettiest shade of metallic army canteen green you'll ever see.

I like a 9' 4wt Sage VPS Light (LL blank) for 98% of my trouting. The extra reach and delicacy helps.

Anybody willing to sell a short glass 3wt or 6wt sorta cheap? I'm even curious to try one of those yellow things if available.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:46 pm

short glass is never cheap...

You might consider a Lamiglas blank, and if you don't want to build it yourself, talk to Dennis Freeman or one of the builders on the fiberglass flyrodders board. http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog ... rglass-Fly

If it's not too far away, drop by Living Waters Fly Shop and check out the TFO glass. I believe they also have a 7-1/2' 5-wt, and TFO Finesse line also includes the 7'9" 5-wt IM6.

there is also the new line of Hardy glass rods - they make a 7'6" 4-wt.
Ron Mc

TARH2O

Post by TARH2O » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:01 am

eric_burnett wrote:the Sportsman's Prayer:

"Dear Lord, when I die, please do not let my wife sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it"

Amen
You owe me a new laptop computer - I just spit coffe all over this one laughing at the Sportsman's Prayer.

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:06 am

I have a friend who owns a fly shop. One day, a few days before Father's Day, a guy came in and handed him $300.

He said, "My wife's coming in here tomorrow to shop for the fly rod I told her I wanted for Father's Day. Please subtract this amount from the retail price when you tell her how much it costs, or she'll never agree to buy it."
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:49 am

Ron Mc wrote:short glass is never cheap...

You might consider a Lamiglas blank, and if you don't want to build it yourself, talk to Dennis Freeman or one of the builders on the fiberglass flyrodders board. http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog ... rglass-Fly

If it's not too far away, drop by Living Waters Fly Shop and check out the TFO glass. I believe they also have a 7-1/2' 5-wt, and TFO Finesse line also includes the 7'9" 5-wt IM6.

there is also the new line of Hardy glass rods - they make a 7'6" 4-wt.
I'm working on a trade for one. I've got a 6wt that has just never quite fit my casting stroke. Something about "zen" and "overpower this rod and the line falls at your feet...." I think there's something in my medulla oblongata that feels a fast rod and starts hauling with all the grace of King Kong. We'll see how the trade negotiations work out. Hopefully he and Varitek will sign their respective offers.