Help me choose: four weight or five weight?

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:23 am

BigCliff wrote:I've got a 6wt that has just never quite fit my casting stroke. Something about "zen" and "overpower this rod and the line falls at your feet...." I think there's something in my medulla oblongata that feels a fast rod and starts hauling with all the grace of King Kong.
sounds like a parabolic taper - you have load those with haul; slow, and shorten your arm movements. But then they load like a bow and blast out line.
My 6'3" Berkley Para/metric will cast to the end of the line.
Ron Mc

TARH2O

Post by TARH2O » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:45 am

mickmcco wrote:I have a friend who owns a fly shop. One day, a few days before Father's Day, a guy came in and handed him $300.

He said, "My wife's coming in here tomorrow to shop for the fly rod I told her I wanted for Father's Day. Please subtract this amount from the retail price when you tell her how much it costs, or she'll never agree to buy it."
Right... a friend. Riiiiight Mick. I've seen your collection of rods and I would wager one of them belongs to this story. :D

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:04 pm

The story was actually related to me several years ago by Rick Laird, owner of Tackle Box Outfitters in San Antonio.

My wife, having purchased a rod or two for me for special occasions, is painfully aware of exactly how much the cost.

But since I pay the bills, I also know exactly how much her shoes and suits cost at Nordstrom's or Nieman-Marcus, so we usually negotiate on equal footing. :wink:
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:42 pm

the right pair of gray pumps is the moral equivalent of a 32" redfish.
Ron Mc

eric_burnett

Post by eric_burnett » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:13 pm

I haven't read this thread for a bit, but I am pretty sure that not owing people laptops for coffee spits is covered in the indemnifications of the user agreement when I signed up.

All I know is that when I was engaged to my wife, I owned a total of 3 fly rods and reels to match. As that number has grown into double digits, she has only uttered a few minor complaints and a few probing questions. I also know that the number of shoes that she bought at Nordstroms has swelled accordingly.

So, maybe Dr. Phil may not endorse our methods, I am sure he would approve of the results. I get really excited when she gets new shoes, for example, "Silver Boots! Great! They are made in Italy right." And she puts up with me.

So far so good until the next decade..

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:43 pm

Well, I just paid the Nordy's bill, with an item called "Salon and Designer Shoes" that ran to more than my first three automobiles combined. True, everything was cheaper back in those days, but this was still an extraordinary purchase. Having kept my cool throughout, and offer properly effusive praise, I can now operate with impunity for a few weeks on the fly fishing and photography markets. Within reason, of course.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:18 pm

the pound is crashing, Mick

http://www.harrissportsmail.com/Brands.aspx?BrandID=42
set your settings (upper right) to United States and American dollar, and it will show you tax-free prices and actual shipping. :twisted:
Ron Mc

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:51 pm

Ron Mc wrote:
BigCliff wrote:I've got a 6wt that has just never quite fit my casting stroke. Something about "zen" and "overpower this rod and the line falls at your feet...." I think there's something in my medulla oblongata that feels a fast rod and starts hauling with all the grace of King Kong.
sounds like a parabolic taper - you have load those with haul; slow, and shorten your arm movements. But then they load like a bow and blast out line.
My 6'3" Berkley Para/metric will cast to the end of the line.
It did alright saturday-

http://thecontemplativedabbler.vox.com/ ... 9860e.html