Another FIRST on the Guadalupe!

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

Jimbo Roberts

Another FIRST on the Guadalupe!

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:05 pm

It's nice to have the good flows from the dam this summer and I'm still taking advantage of the fishing that is available there in the Guadalupe. I arrived about 7:30am.

So FIRST a little Trout fishing.....
The tricos were doing their mating dance above the river, but very hard to see in this picture.....
I looked for noses poking through but found none. Still I tied on my favorite dry anyway and flogged the water while walking upstream.
I arrived at my first hole and started nymph fishing for Trout. I had one on almost immediately, but it pulled off. With my second one on, I tried to play it more expertly, then again these Trout are also experts and he broke me off on some submerged rocks..... 0 for 2..... With my third fish on, I took my time and sure enough finally landed one.
With that FIRST trout finally under my belt, I was feeling better and landed the next 5 of 6 hooked over the next couple of hours. Now I was cooking.

The morning wore on and the sun had steadily climbed in the pale blue sky. Wednesday's morning clouds would have been a nice relief from the heat that was building today, but this Thursday there was more haze than clouds and shade was at a premium. It was now noon and time to let the Trout alone for the rest of the day.

But FIRST..... there was a bunch of trash littered on the banks up here and I have not mentioned it lately that I try to pick up trash everyday I fish. So I spent about 10 minutes cleaning the bank. There was also a half dozen unopened bottles of water and a few cokes.
Finishing my task I chugged one bottle of water, started on a second, and left the rest as emergency supplies for the floaters. I was ready to go looking for Perch and Bass now.....

But FIRST..... I was ready for a good lunch. I looked at my Jelly and Peanut Butter sandwich and decided some BQ would be much better.

Having finished lunch at the BQ shack, I headed down river road to a series of long pools that many know well. You know how sometimes you catch a Perch and have a Bass, not quite big enough to swallow it chase and harass the perch while you retrive it. And then you throw the same fly back in the same general area and nothing..... Well this time I cut that fly off and tied on a Cat's Whisker and the first cast drew the strike I was looking for.....
It's nice when an idea actually works !!!
I also caught a Guadalupe.....
And for some reason the Smallmouth were really active and I landed several of this size and some smaller ones.....
The Perch were biting but not in the numbers that I caught here last week. They are still beautiful. Just look at this Bluegill and the aquamarine and purple banding on the side of this fish.....
There were also some good Redbreast and Longear Sunfish.....
But all in all the Perch fishing was a little slow. I figured that some of the Larger Bass that I caught had been prowling these same banks and run off and or eaten some of the Perch that were here last week.

You know I have caught just about every imaginable species in the Guadalupe. I have caught Largemouth, Smallmouth and Guadalupe Bass and their Hybrids, Rock Bass, Warmouth, Stripers, White Bass, Redbreast, Longear, Bluegill, Redear, Green Sunfish and their hybrids, Crappie, Blacktailed shiners, Green Stripe Minnows, Channel catfish, Spotted Gar, Rainbow, Brown and Brook Trout, even Turtles

and Now Another FIRST...............

Pylodictis Olivaris or Flathead Catfish
My First ever on a flyrod and I caught it a a #12 Dave's Red Squirrel Rubber legs of all things.....
It was about 6-7 lbs. When it first hit and I loaded the rod I was hoping for one, even larger Bass, responsible for the lack of Perch in the area. As the fight wore on, and the 5wt. Sage XP literally doubled over from the strain, I realized that it was not fighting like a Bass but it had to be something else. It was boring down, hugging the bottom and swimming in large circles around me. I FIRST thought it might be a Turtle for some reason. Then I realized it was fighting like a large catfish and having caught many Channel Catfish here over the years that is what I thought of FIRST. Then I saw the mottled coloring and realized........ IT'S A FLATHEAD !!!!! These fish are notorious about being picky eaters and nothing dead for heavens sake, only the livelyest baits will do. Here I am with a #12 Nymph on 4X doing battle with a 6-7lb Flathead. Well It just goes to show you, you never really know what may strike your next cast on the Guadalupe.

Jimbo
Last edited by Jimbo Roberts on Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:22 pm, edited 8 times in total.

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:30 pm

Good for you, Jimbo! Great report.

He looks just like the ones my grandfather used to catch on trotlines in the Missouri Ozarks when I was growing up.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:00 pm

Holy smokes! That's pretty cool. Flathead might be the reason for a dearth of perch in that area too...they are known to be pretty aggressive predators...
Mark Dillow

stiles

Post by stiles » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:45 am

You caught a brookie in the Guad???

~~~ ><Ǽ>

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:43 pm

No Red Horse Suckers??

david

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:23 pm

The Brookies were an experimental stocking way back in the early days of the tailwater fishery and none are left now. Oops, your right, I forgot Red Horse Suckers and what ever species of Carp are that also in the river. I am sure that I have also caught a few strains of lesser Sunfish that I did not identify and maybe a few others that I have forgoten. The Guadalupe really has so many species that it is almost like fishing down at the coast, in that you never know what kind of fish will take your next cast. Jimbo

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:55 pm

There was a discussion somewhere around here about keeping the river clean and who is responsible for it, and who should pay for it, etc. Follow Jimbo's example, if you don't already, and pick up trash as you go through your fishing day.
My Austin-Healey Club has been picking up a two mile stretch of highway for almost twenty years. We so it because we like to see clean roadsides as we motor in our sports cars. We are always sadened and frustrated that other people don't feel the same way.
We have to pick up our rivers.
Before you leave, after the trash has been collected, stop and take a look back and enjoy the clean view, knowing with satisfaction that it is cleaner than it was before you arrived and that the next person may see the same clean river. Realize also, that you have to do it the next time.

I'd like to see more pictures posted after a trip of the trash collected and hauled away. Thanks Jimbo.

david

mopar340

Post by mopar340 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:30 pm

Before you leave, after the trash has been collected, stop and take a look back and enjoy the clean view, knowing with satisfaction that it is cleaner than it was before you arrived and that the next person may see the same clean river. Realize also, that you have to do it the next time.

That is the spirit that the cleanups must be done in, regardless of the little thought way in the back of your brain about the ****'s who left this mess.
Take a bow for what you/we do. It's only thru this that it survives.
I'm tempted to invite some of the people who have no problem with having their name in the New Braunfels paper to join us.
You talk the talk, let's walk the walk.
"if it's good to ya, it HAS to be good for ya"

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:08 pm

No trash to take pictures of......that's what I'd really like to see

david

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:07 pm

No trash to be seen..... That would be a dream..... Or maybe February-March, just before tubing season. By the way, any outfitter will have those mesh bags and be happy to hand some out to you if you ask. I usually have one in the back pocket of my vest. Jimbo

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:50 am

If you float the San Marcos from Lion's Park, there is a mesh bag attached to each of the tubes they rent.

david

jsrieck

Post by jsrieck » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:18 am

Jimbo, what fly reel is that you have in the picture?

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:33 am

That is a Ross Vision 3. Basically it's a ported version of the Ross San Miguel 3. They are no longer in production, but you could look for one on E-Bay. Jimbo

john

Post by john » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:02 pm

Hey Jimbo, great flathead! I caught several of these last winter whilst dredging for Stripers. They are a blast to catch! I also have caught a bunch of channel cats and carp in the same sessions, only this past winter did I ever catch a flathead on the Guad.
------------------------------
John Erskine

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:26 pm

Nice flat head, that is cool. I have never seen a cat taken on fly rod.