Just Another day on the Guad

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:20 pm

if you want to go crazy, take a look at some of the TN, GA and AL fish photo sites. The they have pumpkinseeds there as well, on top of greens, long ears, red ears, yellow bellies and warmouth, and they take their rock bass vs. shadow bass vs. redeye bass identifications very seriously.

Growing up, my dad and I used to fish bedding crappie and warmouth from a boat in the top of Canyon Lake, so sorting black crappie and warmouth was my first exercise in taxonomy.
Ron Mc

Coconut Groves

Post by Coconut Groves » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:20 pm

bhigdon wrote:The group cleaning the river was some of the local guides, 3 boat loads of trash. All in all it wasn't as bad as we thought.

The guides were Chris Jackson, Keven Stubbs, Jeff Davis, Banning Collins, and a couple of their friends.
I talked to Jeff today and he said they got some fishing in and caught a good amount of trout. He was surprised how many they caught, the size of them and how cool the water was for this time of year. That's some good news.
"Strip... Strip... Strip...... Fish On!"

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:26 pm

Check out this site.........
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... 8%26sa%3DX
It shows many of the sunfish family..... Although, their Redbreast and Longears look different from we are accustomed to seeing.
Jimbo

stiles

Post by stiles » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:00 am

this discussion is great- you guys are serious fish geeks. I love it!

~~~ ><Ǽ>

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:35 pm

Jimbo, the photos also show how remarkably the strains vary in different watersheds.
Ron Mc

jchristensen77

flyfishing with fluoxetine

Post by jchristensen77 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:11 pm

stiles wrote:this discussion is great- you guys are serious fish geeks. I love it!
I heard that pretty soon the medical communities will be giving out perscriptions for various SSRIs when they heare we fly fish.... :wink:

If it wasnt for the boderline-obsession that many of us have with flyfishing (rod building, fly tying, reel collecting), we "might" have to obsess over work.. :evil:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~><~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
><~}}}}]]*>
><~}}}}]]*>

stiles

Post by stiles » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:58 pm

my wife and kids would get too much attention if I gave up fly fishing! They'd end up horribly spoiled....

~~~ ><Ǽ>