Where to fish this coming weekend?

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

NathanJK

Where to fish this coming weekend?

Post by NathanJK » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:54 pm

My parents are coming in to town this coming weekend and I'll be taking my dad fishing somewhere around here (San Antonio). Last time we went to the Rebecca Creek Crossing and had a great time (except that the wade was a bit taxing for my dad), but right now the flow is sooooo low I dont know how great it'll fish. Last time I went by myself there it was around 50cfs and I had a really good time. However, I'd really like to take him somewhere new. I'm thinking of heading up to Center Point and that area, what do y'all think? I also thought about the Sisterdale Road crossing.

My other option that I have considered is to head to the area below the dam, since it is flowing so much better. However, I don't know how good the warmwater fishing is on that part of the river, I've only ever been trout fishing there? The two spots are roughly an equal distance for me, so I don't have a huge preference as far as driving goes. What would you do if you were me?

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:05 am

I think it's not a good idea to talk about specific crossings on this particular forum, especially, if you're planning to go there yet.
400 people are going to read it before you get there.
I will tell you that between low flows (one-quarter median or less) and fishing pressure, it's the middle rivers that are taking the hardest hit from the drought.
All that being said, I would recommend any of the several crossings from Sisterdale to Canyon Lake - these crossings are generally not wadable at median flow, so drought years are an advantage for access.
For the sake of the wader in the summer heat, it's also nice to try to pick crossings with good cypress overhang.
Ron Mc

NathanJK

Post by NathanJK » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:43 am

Doesn't Sisterdale to Canyon Lake count as the middle rivers? I get pretty confused with the different parts of the Guadalupe :) Fishing pressure is one of the reasons I was thinking of not hitting Rebecca Creek. Every time I've been there I've seen other fisherman, and I usually go during slow parts of the week, not the weekend. I'll have to think on it some more between now and then, try to pick a spot that is pretty remote. I have one particular spot I would really like to try out, but as you said...I wont name it here! It's a bit of a haul drive wise but might be worth it.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:18 am

Well to me, Flatrock Dam in Kerrville divides the upper Guad from the middle Guad, and water I can't get to is the lower Guad - ha.
Ron Mc

NathanJK

Post by NathanJK » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:13 am

Ahhh, and now I see on my google earth where I made a little note that says "Flatrock dam...on the split between middle and upper guadalupe". I guess I should have referenced my own materials there!

NathanJK

Post by NathanJK » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:34 pm

Well, we had a good day of fishing, we went up past Hunt and fished a crossing up there, I think it was the same one Jimbo posted about the other week. It was a BEAUTIFUL spot and we caught a few, I think I landed 6 or 7 there and lost 2 or 3 including one really nice bass that I just didn't have a good hookset on. We stopped when we got to where the summer camp looking spot was, as we were ready for a break and we expected screaming children to show up any time. We headed back to the Jeep and went back to Center Point, every crossing we passed was packed with people and tubes (it being a holiday weekend sure didn't help!).

I had picked out a very remote crossing that I was very excited to try but when we got there...yep, more tube people, lots more! On that note we headed on down to a crossing below Center Point and gave it a shot. I hooked into what i think was a catfish there (I only saw a flash before he was gone, but he didn't seem bass like for what it is worth) and caught a few more sunfish. All in all though, we didn't particularly like this stretch of river. The water was cloudy and so stagnant it had a slight odor to it. The only good thing that could really be said about it that day was that it was shaded! We only stayed there for perhaps an hour until we decided to call it a bust and hit one last spot before we had to head home.

We headed over to Waring and stopped at a tiny little crossing there, we were going to fish a bigger one but a bunch of beer drinking 20 somethings were camped out there and were all over the big railroad bridge. We agreed there was a fairly good chance of every car parked there getting a ticket thanks to those people. I know your not supposed to park at the crossings in the Waring area but we found a crossing with pretty ambiguous signs and pulled onto the dry creekbed. We also fished within sight of the Jeep and only stayed for an hour or so. This stop ended up being more casting practice than anything although I did catch a couple of small bass and sunfish. This was definitely our favorite spot of the day though, it was wonderfully shaded and the water was gin clear.

The end of day total had me catching 11 or 12 fish, which certainly isn't my best day and my dad catching 1. The whole day he couldn't figure out why I was out catching him so handily and he kept saying "how are you retrieving it?" I would show him and I figured he was doing the same thing I was but that he just had bad luck. At the very end of the day I finally noticed that he was retrieving MUCH slower than me. His strips were the same length but they were very slow and lazy while mine were pretty quick little jerks. He vowed to work on his retrieve before the next time out! For what its worth I fished a cats whisker all day and he switched between cats whiskers and clousers. Even without catching a lot, it was the best fishing trip I've had since the last time my dad visited, you can't beat the company :)

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:49 pm

Glad you had a good time. You should watch the flows on the USGS site
http://water.usgs.gov/waterwatch/?m=real&r=tx
Check the flows of the areas you want to fish. The Llano seems to be running the best right now before this last round of rain today. This rain we are having today should a impact for at least a week, hopefully longer. Jimbo

NathanJK

Post by NathanJK » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:03 pm

Thanks for the tip, I have actually been watching for the past week, but since I'm relatively new to this its hard to know what different levels really mean in terms of impact on fishing. I'm getting better at it though :wink: