Back into the Hills

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

Jimbo Roberts

Back into the Hills

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:24 am

With the temperatures climbing, nobody has to tell you that the summer is upon us. With the flows so good below Canyon Lake, I have not been fishing all the other great rivers and streams in the Hill Country that much. Well it's high time to revisit some my old favorites. So I pointed my R32 off into the west and pulled up at an old low water crossing that Ron also knows well. I started at an upstream low water dam. The usual players were ready!
Plenty of these Longears to be caught along with everyone's favorite....
Even a few Green Hybrids...
After playing in this little pool it was time to head downstream to some better water...
Usually I fish this stretch with Poppers and Hoppers, guest what.... they still work...
Catching was good and if I remember correctly the further you go down stream the better it gets...
So was I right?
You bet ya! Seems not much has changed and if I remember it gets even better the farther you wade...
I caught some Redears down here, I should have taken a picture of the first one but this will do as an example...
Back to working downstream now approaching a mile to some water that is little fished...
Now that's what I'm talking about !!! I found a gravel bar here that was absolutely covered up with Longears that were spawning. I caught one on just about every cast. It's been a long time since I actually started to get tired from casting and fighting fish in but today was one of those days...
Fishing had been absolutely wonderful, but the sun was headed down and I had a good 45 minute slog upstream back to my ride and it was time to go...
So how did I do...
I give it a fuzzy thumbs up! If you catch 87 Perch and 29 Bass, your thumb will look like this too! Jimbo

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:21 pm

Now that's a great series of pictures!!

david

becpa

Post by becpa » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:42 pm

Jimbo,

I hope I am not mistaken, but I think you and I had a long distance conversation yesterday morning around 11:30 a.m. I am going by the color of your auto in the photo.

I had been fishing a couple of miles upstream, next to the big rock and just downwind of the dead ringtail raccoon. Phew!

Your location is safe with me.

I caught a bunch of these yesterday and a size 4 chartruse and orange clouser. I had a blast with a 2 wt line on my split-cane rod.

This part of the country is special.

Bill

Last edited by becpa on Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxh

Post by maxh » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:41 pm

Great post and photos Jimbo! I haven't done much fishing in a while or been out West since spring but this post is going to make me carve out some time (and some gas money)!

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:53 pm

I definitely talked to someone standing at the low water crossing as I was just starting off downstream, so if it was you, cool! You have some nice photos yourself. I get a little to repetitive with the Fish Photos fishing by myself, but it's fast and easy if not too creative. I had to get some fishing in yesterday or miss out all together this week. Work will keep me pushing till next Tuesday or Wednesday. The water levels were low, but water quality was good, and the full moon really had the fish reved up. My thumb will take many days to heal over, but it was worth it of course! Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:58 pm

you should have been with us today, Jimbo
we fished 5 crossings around Hunt and caught well over 100 fish between us
we also managed to stay in the cypress tunnels all day, and even started the morning in the rain

Image Image

Image Image

A-strain
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:36 pm

I would have loved to break out the short rod with your gang. That is one monster Hybrid by the way! I need to explore those crossings sometime. The old saying is so true,"So much water... So little time". Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:05 am

Nice outfit Bill - especially like your reel.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wi ... ensunfish/
it's not a hybrid, Jimbo - it's all green.
I released one 13" on Bull Creek 15 years ago.
State record is 9"

and I know those look like they ought to be long-ears, but they're yellow bellies http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wi ... stsunfish/
here's a long-ear
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wi ... arsunfish/

on your wade, there was a big red-ear in the top hole that we caught steady for 3 years
when you released her, she would stay at your feet and guard you until you left the hole.
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:47 pm

Yea, I use common names too much. I know they are Redbreast Sunfish, but I still call them by their common names of Yellowbellies and Longears. I guess I shouldn't on the forum. And you know I am not sure how to tell the difference between Green sunfish and their Hybrids. And as far as the Redears I caught at least 4 on this trip all at the lower end of the main pool by the campground pavilions. I too have caught several large ones like your photo in that pool. The biggest Redears I ever caught were in Fayette County Lake. I caught some there in the 1 1/2lb range. Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:58 pm

long-ear males hybridize with many other sunfish.
Look for strange colors like pinks.
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:11 pm

You know comparing the one I caught and the one you caught, the best I can tell they are both Green Sunfish. What do you think Ron? Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:29 am

no question.
it really doesn't matter what you call them - I've seen people get up in arms over calling them rock bass and goggle-eye, which TPWD lists as common names for the fish.
And you made my point - getting them right with photos on the board is just a good idea.
Ron Mc

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:02 pm

I know you had to work, but you missed another fine day, Jimbo

we weren't the only ones fishing

Image Image

Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:27 pm

What can I say......... They are all Perfect! The first and last pictures are especially good. Well at least we did have a good turn out at the open house. No contracts in hand yet, but some good contacts. I should be clear of most of my work by Tuesday or Wednesday and it will be time for more fishing. Jimbo

jacofish

Post by jacofish » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:35 pm

This is Jake I'm a new member, but I fished with Ron a few weeks ago, I was Tony's neighbor. I love to check these posts too see how your trips go, and I would have loved to come with yall this sunday, but we just got back from a wedding in austin this afternoon, then I had work. I was wondering if you have any tips on fishing Medina in Bulverde, I was thinking of maybe hitting it on one of my days off this week, before Riverfest this weekend.
Kiss My Bass!