Back into the Hills

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:09 am

Hi Jake,
I'm going to guess you're asking about the Medina in Bandera.
I'm going to have to plead ignorance.
I have only fished a bit around the city park (good wading downriver, but good shade upriver) and English Crossing (good wading for a long way in both directions, but no shade).
Ron Mc

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:45 pm

Ron,

Are the last set of pictures you last Sunday group?

david

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:37 pm

yes, that was yesterday - from that chute down to the waterfall is my favorite water on that wade, by far.

The pod bass were in pocketwater and ruts in the dolomite. I wouldn't call it sight-fishing, it was more like spook fishing. When we hooked up, we could see the rest of the pod blasting upriver. It's OK, there were plenty of fine Guadalupe bass to go around.
No bass in the deep flagstone pools, though - looks like the gar have taken them over. We were sight-fishing the gar as well, and I got a couple of serious slashing strikes, but I'm probably glad I didn't hook up on that SB cane.

the last photo, btw, was Ewell's big bass and his photo.
Ron Mc

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:30 pm

big fish day, Jimbo - Ewell and I each busted off larger bass than this
(I'll tell you where later, but can't post it)
Image Image
(20" bass, 11" yellow belly)
Alex with a big bass
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:14 pm

Both those fish look fabulous. And you know me... that is one large Yellowbelly (Redbreast) ! I haven't fished in almost 2 weeks. I'm jonesing at work with my broker out of town for a week. Oh well, some good news, I finally have a Sage Smallmouth blank. We have been nagging Carey for the whole time. And he couldn't get a blank out as a new sale. So I have a blank that was delievered as a "Return Repair Rod". It's so under the radar, that there is not even a logo stenciled, nor serial number, on the blank. I understand it is the first blank offered anywhere. I will find some time to build it this week. Jimbo