Close to home

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

Ron Mc

Close to home

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:46 am

We're really needing rain and the rivers have been dropping. At the Guadalupe crossing closest to home, it's only running 70 cfs (it's normally 500 cfs here). Of course that means we can wade it which we only do in droughts.

first fish on a new rod (this is c. 1970s Fisher/Hardy glass blank recently built for me by Dwight Lyons - it's a 7' 6/7-wt. - really zings around the T130, but is lightweight, and limber enough that little fish still feel substantial)
Image Image
I caught this little bass in the side seam of a chute and he actually pulled the rod out of my hand

here's the long-dead highway bridge (the new tall bridge makes for great shaded parking)

gorgeous water, cypress tunnel...

better bass (I held onto the rod - I actually saw this fish blaze across half the river to impale the fly)

the obligatory wet shot

Bill with a little bass in a chute

yesterday, I'd say this was the Coolest place to be in Texas.

Steve hooked up
Ron Mc

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:28 am

Ron is so right. It was the coolest place in Texas. Water temp. just right and the breeze kept a lid on the mid 90's temp. Good fishing and good company!
I'm ready to go again.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:04 pm

I be glad when my yard pass is once again validated! Maybe the middle of this week! Jimbo

dlcole
Site Admin

Post by dlcole » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:07 pm

Great pictures...looks like I won't get to the Guad this year until trout season. With the Mt/Co trip fast approaching, I'd be pressing my luck to take off in Sept for a Guad excursion...however, I am thinking about a Lower Laguna Madre Coast trip in Oct, so a couple of days on the Guad might be possible...LOL.
David

Coconut Groves

Post by Coconut Groves » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:26 pm

Speaking of close to home, I recently got a chance to fish a private tank outside of Cedar Park (North Austin). I used to fish this when I was a teenager with my dad and brother, but haven't fished it in over 15 years until recently.

The bass are still large and put up a great fight. We caught these on 6wt rods and streamers.

My father-in-law, who was born in Austin but now lives outside of Glenwood Springs, Co (and the reason I get to fish CO as much as I do):

My brother and me with the big catch of the day:

That picture doesn't do it justice, but this one does:

And another good catch (although it did have weird dark spots on it):

I fished it again a few weekends ago but didn't take my camera. Lots of good action again. The best part is that this is only 10 minutes from my house!
"Strip... Strip... Strip...... Fish On!"

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:55 pm

I used to fish those tanks around Cedar Park myself many years ago. There are quite a few ACOE tanks up there that are under utilized. There are two that are right on 183. My favorite though was a few miles northeast of 183 and was half on a ranch and half in a HOA park. I had access through the ranch and fished it with a square-ender. Caught many Bass in the 5 to 7lb range. I even had some 100Bass/day trips there! Boy those were the days! Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:57 am

fine fish - you guys are grinning like you're having fun!

I fished many of those tanks in the 80s and 90s - lived at Parmer and McNeil.

The Bull Creek impoundment on Spicewood Springs Road that is now an Austin city park - I fished that when it was still private - met the owner riding her horse one day.
The fish are big and wary there - almost impossible to catch. (if the pond was 50' deep, you'd see the bottom.) I did a duck walk across the dam early one morning and cast to the likely sloping bank - hooked up and landed a 10-lb. bass - on a size 10 fly and the short version (6'9") of my Fisher 5/6 Combo. (I also caught a 13-inch green sunfish in that pond - yeah, I released it without thinking about it...)

I named this fly for that bass, Bull Creek Crayfish

creek fishing and tank fishing are apples and oranges.
there are still occasional big fish to be found, but they're a lot more rare, and you go geared up for the small fish, and with small rods to fit in the overhang.

the best part of creek fishing - beating the heat in the cypress tunnels
Ron Mc