Cause and effect

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

LabRat

Cause and effect

Post by LabRat » Mon May 26, 2008 12:58 pm

Cause...

Effect...

Place - a hidden private pond about an hour east of Austin...

The fly looks a little ratty because it saw the inside of over a dozen largemouths that morning before 9:00 (had to quit to make it to church on time).
I took nearly that many the evening before on a Dahlberg Diver before losing it in the lilly pads. My friend had similar luck both days with Llano Bugs.
Because the pads extended about 30-40 feet from the bank, long casts were the rule of the day. With the strike, you had to high stick to try to skate the bass over the pads. If they got below, you had trouble. But we never lost a hooked fish either day due to weeds.
This was a flyrodders paradise...without flotation you couldn't have fished this place with conventional tackle.
These fish were all very dark, and were all released. The water was the color of strong iced tea.
Mark Dillow

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon May 26, 2008 3:47 pm

Ahhh..... the joy of fishing small tanks! Looks like one of the places I used to fish up there north of 183. Jimbo

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Mon May 26, 2008 5:18 pm

I really wish I had my float tube with me...I might still be out there!

I am gonna have to thank Dave Whitlock personally when he comes back to town for that fruit cocktail deer hair pattern.

Weed guards were a must for this tank. Even with them I lost a couple favorite deer hair bugs...but it was worth it.
Mark Dillow

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Tue May 27, 2008 6:51 am

Nice job, Mark, on the flies, fish, and photos.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

bhigdon

Post by bhigdon » Tue May 27, 2008 9:18 am

Dave Whitlock is the man, when it comes to bass flies. We netted a few on the San Marcos with a Whitlock Frog. We only weighed one and it was 4lbs Large mouth.