Favorite Rod and Why?

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

jsrieck

Favorite Rod and Why?

Post by jsrieck » Mon May 12, 2008 6:12 pm

I figure this might be interesting:

What is your favorite fly rod (length/line weight)? Where do you like to fish it?

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Mon May 12, 2008 6:43 pm

Far and away a 10' 4wt. Sage Z-Axis. I love nymphing with it on the Guad, but it's also great for fishing dries and emergers.

Alex

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Mon May 12, 2008 6:57 pm

Good question! I've had several favorites over the years, and I've seldom met a rod I didn't like, so I can usually find something to like about nearly every rod I cast.

My first favorite was a Sage 8' 4 wt SP, then a Scott 8'8" 2wt G series, followed by a Winston 5 pc 5 wt LT, a Sage 590XP, a Granger 8ft 5wt bamboo, a Sage Xi2 7wt, and most recently two bamboos, a 6'3" 4wt and a 6'9" staggered ferrule 5wt.

The bamboos are my current favorites because they fit my home waters (Sloan Creek) so well. It's both narrow and deep, with lots of brush on the banks and trees overhead, so these short rods let me cast under the trees and still have the backbone to throw the minitip lines I need to get down to the bigger bass and sunfish on the bottom of the creek.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

eric_burnett

Post by eric_burnett » Mon May 12, 2008 9:22 pm

I love my new Scott S4S 8'6" 4wt. It has great feel for big bluegill and the muscle to pull through weeds and handle an occaisional bass or carp. I put some new Sharkskin line on and it is as good as they say it should be.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon May 12, 2008 9:39 pm

Isn't this the warmwater page?

Phillipson MF70, 7', 6-wt. glass

It roll casts beautifully, loads slowly and shoots line out as far as you need to fish anywhere in the hill country. Reaches under overhangs, little fish feel substantial, and it handles big fish.

I like it so much, I have two - this is an LL Bean Featherweight, which is built on the tipover version of the same Phillipson blank

Ron Mc

TrentW

Post by TrentW » Tue May 13, 2008 8:48 am

Lamiglas 3pc 4wt 7.6"
This rod quickly became my favorite after fishing it just a few times. My technical reason for loving this rod so much is that it is just FUN to fish! I fished it on the Medina a few times and it fits that river perfectly.
The Lami fiberglass blanks demand a relaxing casting stroke that just feels right for fishing. Not the longest caster in the world but it does give you lots of power for the bigger fish while still bending over frontwards for the little guys.
My Silaflex 7.6, 6 wt. comes in second place.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Tue May 13, 2008 9:53 am

Trent, your Lamiglas looks a little like the kind of rods Dennis at Rodmakers builds, Is it a custom build? For me, my favorite rods are Sage model XP's of which I have 6: 386, 476, 490, 580, 590, 690. I love the way they progressively flex along the shaft of the rod allowing the perfect balance of casting at almost any distance and still be good at fighting fish. I also have one of their new Z-Axis rods, a 10' 5wt., it is a speciality rod that best for nymph fishing. For fishing the tight spots on the Hill Country Rivers I like my TFO Finesse 7'9" 5wt. For pure Perch Jerking I like my 376 Sage SLT. For sinking lines there is my Sage 590 & 690 SP+ and 490 RPL+ models that are very stiff and handle the heavy sinking lines like they where designed for them. I also have a soft spot for my old Sage 486 & 389 LL's , which is just about the best small Dryfly Rods ever! Also I am waiting on Sage to start selling their Smallmouth blanks so I can build one of those. These rods are amazing the way they load with the Sage speciality line that comes with the rod/blank. Again, Like Mick, I can enjoy fishing any of my rods in certain situations. Jimbo

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Tue May 13, 2008 3:47 pm

St. Croix Legend Ultra 9' 5 weight. Also have a 7 weight.
Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

john

Post by john » Thu May 15, 2008 3:07 pm

Sage 691XP would be my 'desert island' rod. If I could only have one, this would be it. I've caught dozens of species on this rod on multiple continents. Everything from tarpon and jacks to trout and grayling and all kinds of strange stuff in between.

That being said, thank goodness that I don't have to just have one rod. :-)

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Thu May 15, 2008 3:19 pm

Amen to that, John!

:wink:
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

Coconut Groves

Post by Coconut Groves » Sat May 17, 2008 10:08 pm

My true love is the Sage SP, but I have to admit, I've been cheating on her lately with the Winston Boron IIx. Both are great rods that are easy to load. I have an 8wt BIIx and I swear it feels like a 6wt.

I had a Scott G2 for a while for dries - great rod, but not good for nymphing or if the wind got really high.

I've had two St Crioxs and sold each one - an 8wt Legend Ultra and a 10wt Legend Elite. I didn't like the load on either one.

I am getting a 10wt Boron IImx this week, so I'll have to post what I think about that after I get it.
"Strip... Strip... Strip...... Fish On!"