Drift boat for the Hill Country

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

jsrieck

Drift boat for the Hill Country

Post by jsrieck » Thu May 08, 2008 11:02 pm

Do any of y'all use drift boats? How do they work?

What is the general consensus as the best all-around boat for the hill country rivers, for two guys fishing?

pontoonman

Re: Drift boat for the Hill Country

Post by pontoonman » Fri May 09, 2008 1:07 am

jsrieck wrote:Do any of y'all use drift boats? How do they work?

What is the general consensus as the best all-around boat for the hill country rivers, for two guys fishing?
How often will you be going out? What type of fishing do you do? Where will you be doing your fishing, access varies on Guad, Blanco, Austin tanks, etc? Some chaps go out very often, yet don't use a boat at all. Others use float tubes, kayaks and such. Some hire a guide with a drift boat for the few times a year they go out and come out better $ wise... With water so low right now, you may not be able to use a drift boat much, but can wade right up to the holes instead.

Hope this helps.

Pon

jsrieck

Post by jsrieck » Fri May 09, 2008 7:52 am

A buddy and I go out about twice a month. I fly fish, and prefer poppers and other topwater flies. I most often fish on the San Marcos down to Fentress, sometimes on the Colorado below Austin, and when I am out that way, on the Llano above and below Junction. Next year I will join the GRTU lease program to get better access to the Guad.

I don't have any special access to the other rivers, but generally you can find reasonable put in and take out points.

We have always used canoes in the past - I'd like to find something more stable. I've tried a kayak, but I don't like being so low to the water, nor have I got the hand of paddling and fishing all at once.

I've gone out with guides every once in awhile and lots of them have rafts. But I see some advertising drift boats. And I see some using canoes.

Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

bhigdon

Post by bhigdon » Fri May 09, 2008 10:02 am

jsrieck........................

If you will call me I will be glad to share my experiences with a drift boat. There are some drawbacks but there are huge advantages also.

I have fished just about all the Hill Country Rivers with just about every kind of watercraft there is, and would be glad to share my thoughts on the differences.