Perch jerkin

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

maxh

Perch jerkin

Post by maxh » Mon May 05, 2008 8:19 pm

With petrol headed for $4/gal. and the lower colorado all mucked up by the insane releases, I'll be seeking out many more "urban opportunities". Not a bad prospect since I'll be heading to places that look like this that are less than 5 miles from the house-
and catching lots of these little jewels-
without ever leaving town. The question was raised "what to do in the summer in Austin" on a previous post. My question is how to find the time to explore and fish all the opportunities that are right under our noses.
Max

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon May 05, 2008 9:12 pm

There you go, nothing like a urban creek that is underutilized. Looks like Bull Creek or Onion Creek. I fished all over the place while I lived in Austin. At one time I lived in "The Woods" apartments (I know there are a million jokes about that) and they overlooked Barton Creek. Not bad at all. Austin is a great place for the Urban Angler. Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue May 06, 2008 7:05 am

when I lived in Austin, I used to fish Bull Creek everywhere you can get in.
The new park on Spicewood Spgs Rd. - I caught a 10-lb. bass in that impoundment (on a size 10 nickel crayfish, btw). That was when it was private, and I met the landowner.
But from 360 down to Lake Austin, Bull Creek fishes great - the fish are used to people, and not used to being fished.

Good fishing on Bee Creek also - at all those city trails - I know you're liable to encounter PETAs there...

I noticed you have the perfect rod for it. :D
Ron Mc

maxh

Post by maxh » Tue May 06, 2008 8:54 am

That one is Barton Creek- probably will be dry as a bone next week. It sounds like Bull Creek will be the next one to have it's day in court.

Yes Ron, and there's one more glass junkie on the streets these days :wink: