It's Ron's Fault!

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

Jimbo Roberts

It's Ron's Fault!

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon May 05, 2008 11:34 am

As you know Ron is terrible about dragging some friends along to test the potency of cigar smoke and the random dillution by variable air currents along Hill country rivers and streams. Our test site was selected for it's privacy and remoteness from urban enviromental contaminations.
Our crack squad of scientists deployed and secured our test site. We spend some time assemblying our instruments and discussing our sampling locations.
Having agreed upon our experimental parameters, the test subject was activated and the expeiment begun.
Our crew started to spread out and take some initial readings.
The initial readings were very high so the crew moved even further from the odoriferous generator and continued taking samples.
We also wondered if our samples were making their way into the piscatorial inhabitants. So we collected a few subjects and took further readings.
We also took readings from another native.
The readings seemed benign and we concluded our experiment and headed back to the rally point.
Once back to our vehicles we put away our testing equipment and prayed for rain to wash any evidence of our research.
Last edited by Jimbo Roberts on Mon May 05, 2008 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon May 05, 2008 12:45 pm

OK, my turn

we prayed - it rained last night - not us, but the spirit that lives in us.
Ron Mc

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Mon May 05, 2008 1:05 pm

Great stories and photos, guys.

While you were "testing the waters" down south, I was learning to tie Jimbo's favorite fly, then testing it out on the inhabitants of Sloan Creek. I caught a bunch of pumpkinseeds like the one in Jimbo's picture, all decked out in their spawning colors and a few with foreheads to boot.

Having decorated the local trees and snags with half my contingent of nymphs, I retired to the tying table to refill my boxes for another day.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon May 05, 2008 9:21 pm

Mick .... you probably won't believe it, but Sunday I never tied a Dave's Red Squirrel on the end of my tippet! I must say in addition that Ron now has a Large Arbor Hardy Reel that is very notable.... Kind of reminds me of a Husky Multiplier I once had that is a rather rare item and revolutionary for it's time. Thanks again Ron for sharing your secret spots! Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue May 06, 2008 6:47 am

It's a 1917 to '21 St. George (Mk I)
The one Hardy I've always wanted and never thought I would be able to acquire. On ebay for exactly half its value. No one else bid. There were a half dozen questions posted on the reel, as well. I was dumbfounded that it was sitting there waiting for my lone bid in the last few seconds of the auction.
Image Image

fly reels and shotguns are jewelry for men.
Ron Mc

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Tue May 06, 2008 7:32 am

Nice jewelry, Ron!
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Tue May 06, 2008 8:45 am

I saw that reel. It's a thing of beauty.

Alex

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Tue May 06, 2008 9:08 pm

Is that the Guadalupe in Comfort?

david

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Wed May 07, 2008 10:09 am

Kendall County. No public access here - got in by knowing the landowner. (sure makes it nice for walking the bank back upriver...)

Three years ago Kendall passed an ordinance removing the public right of way from all county roads following or the crossing the river.
(you still have right of way at state RRs and FMs like 474 at Cordillera, 1376 at Sisterdale, and 1621 at Waring.
We lost access to seven crossings from Zoeller Lane up to here.
(you could probably take a bicycle still and fish several of them)
You can argue state right of way at bridges, but where the landowners have fenced the right-of-way, there is Nothing you can do.

There is a barbed-wire fence crossing bank to bank on the Sabinal at 12-mile bridge, and I tried to see if someone can remove it. No question it's a navigable river, no question the fence is illegal. County sheriff, TPWD regional Warden, State Atty. General - everyone agreed the fence was illegal, no one had the authority to remove it, and each pointed at the other.
If they want to keep you out that bad, go some place else. Some men have guns.

I believe you can still float from Comfort to Waring and Sisterdale, but that's a lot of portage with the current flows.
Ron Mc

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Thu May 08, 2008 10:24 pm

Thanks for the great pictures, Ron. One additional place to try is the media, "troubleshooters", etc., or maybe local Kendal county paper. Shouldn't be hard to make the case for illegal annexation and the effect it will have on our sport for future generations, if this spreads and goes unchallenged. In some states, fenced property which remains unchallenged for some defined period of years reverts to those who do the fencing. My aunt in Arizona lost some private land that way, because she failed to demand removal of an encroaching fence, thinking that plats had her protected! Don't know if it applies to public land in Texas, though. Hard to believe that this bullying has so many public officials wimping out.

Pon

Ron Mc wrote:Kendall County. No public access here - got in by knowing the landowner. (sure makes it nice for walking the bank back upriver...)

Three years ago Kendall passed an ordinance removing the public right of way from all county roads following or the crossing the river.
(you still have right of way at state RRs and FMs like 474 at Cordillera, 1376 at Sisterdale, and 1621 at Waring.
We lost access to seven crossings from Zoeller Lane up to here.
(you could probably take a bicycle still and fish several of them)
You can argue state right of way at bridges, but where the landowners have fenced the right-of-way, there is Nothing you can do.

There is a barbed-wire fence crossing bank to bank on the Sabinal at 12-mile bridge, and I tried to see if someone can remove it. No question it's a navigable river, no question the fence is illegal. County sheriff, TPWD regional Warden, State Atty. General - everyone agreed the fence was illegal, no one had the authority to remove it, and each pointed at the other.
If they want to keep you out that bad, go some place else. Some men have guns.

I believe you can still float from Comfort to Waring and Sisterdale, but that's a lot of portage with the current flows.