What to do in the Summer and fall in Austin

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

jchristensen77

What to do in the Summer and fall in Austin

Post by jchristensen77 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:01 pm

I just purchased a kayak. It is an inflatable Kwik Tec, and it does the job...at a good price, and keeps me mobile (inflate/deflate, etc.)

As the focus shifts off the Guadalupe for me (as the rubber-hatches, and stress on the trout occur). Anyone have any advice on what to do in the Austin area over the summer to get away from the crowds in the summer?

I hear the Llano is a gem around the State Park, but it is quite a drive from Northwest Austin. Lake Travis is right up the road, but I dont feel like getting hit by a speed/bass boat... :shock:

I am done enjoying the whites upstream of Riemers on white Zonkers, etc... but I'm hoping I dont need to bust out the stink-bait and sit back looking for catfish... :? Im hoping to stay with a floating line and a five-weight, as I dont want to invest in a rod weight to "chuck" fly-jig hybrids....

Thanks....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~><~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
><~}}}}]]*>
><~}}}}]]*>

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:35 pm

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:42 am

A few places in your area: the Colorado below Austin down to Webberville, Onion Creek, Barton Creek, Town lake, ACOE Tanks in Cedar Park, the San Marcos, the Perdanales, San Gabriel, these are all within 30 minutes. Get "The Roads of Texas" Map and start exploring. Jimbo

maxh

Post by maxh » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:53 am

Jchristensen- you're just a little over an hour away from good fishing on the Llano, you don't have to go all the way to the State park
Jimbo- can you elaborate on ACOE tanks in Cedar Park? I haven't heard of that one. Thanks,
Max

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:41 pm

If you get "The Roads of Texas" and look on pages 122 and 106 around Cedar Park/Leander you will see many tanks. I've fished most of them at one time or another. There's one right off 183 on the west side that has easy access. Now most of the rest of these are on private land or accessed through HOA Parks, so you will have to do what I did and knock on a few doors to get access. Look at the one right next to 3406 at Round Rock. Also one of my favorties is off 272 near Leander. I haven't fished either of these tanks in about 15 years, but the time I lived in Austin late 70's till early 90's I fished them all the time and they were great. Oh and you will need a canoe/johnboat/kayak to fish these effectively. Jimbo