Llano fishing trip report

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

Coconut Groves

Llano fishing trip report

Post by Coconut Groves » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:11 pm

I got a chance to fish the Llano for the first time on Saturday, 4/12. Sorry for the delay on this, been busy.

We (my father in law and myself) fished with Jeff Davis again. We fished with him for the first time two weeks before on the Guad and had a great trip (I posted a picture with me, Jeff, and the 24" bow I caught). We had a great time again with Jeff - he is a top notch guide and a blast to be around.

I was really impressed with the beauty of the Llano. First, we lost cell phone service about 15 miles outside of Mason, which was a added surprise. Being totally unplugged added a bit of a perk to the trip.

It was cold the night before (around the 40s in the morning) so fishing started off a bit slow. It picked up about 10 am and we got into several fish each. We fished one person on a popper and the other on a streamer - the latter worked better, so we changed up and both ran streamers with good success.

The smallmouth and hybrids (guadalupe/smallmouth mix) and tough little hombres. They do fight twice their size and are very aggressive. The wind picked up pretty good by 11 am (gusts to 20 mph), but we handled it really well. Even using 6wts these fish fought really tough.

Jeff arguably fixes some of the best food for a guide that I've ever ran across. No store bought sandwiches here - this was handmade, top notch food. Some might not care about this too much, but I'd prefer great food over a soggy store bought sandwich any day. :)

The wind settled down and we switched back one rod to a popper with really good luck. I had not casted a Winston Boron IIx rod before, but man, I fell in love pretty quick. Jeff had one rigged up and we switched off using it all day, it is probably one of the best rods I've casted. Needless to say, my father in law and I both bought one. :)

We had a nice long day and caught 40 fish between the both of us, some really good size. Overall it was a great trip and I fell in love with the area. I highly recommend it if you have never fished it. Being an Austinite I feel guilty that I never made it out there before, but I plan on getting back soon.

Below are some of our pics from the trip. Also, I highly recommend Jeff as your guide. We are already planning the next time we can fish with him - he is a class act, really knowledgeable, and an overall great guy. You can check him out at his site - http://www.flyfishthehillcountry.com

Tight lines,

Keith

And here is a link to view the entire album...
"Strip... Strip... Strip...... Fish On!"