Bass Bug Taper fly line

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

stiles

Bass Bug Taper fly line

Post by stiles » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:00 am

Does anyone have experience with bass bug taper fly lines? I was thinking of putting it on my 7'9" 'glass Wonderod 7wt.
Pros? Cons?
Thanks - Pete

~~~ ><Ǽ>

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:47 am

Bass Bug Tapers are specifically designed with compact/short and heavy heads that allow you to load the rod during shorter casts and carry large/heavy/windresistant flys on target. They are not for finesse fishing. They will work well with large/heavy streamers, but not what you would want to use for dryfly fishing with a 15' leader and #22 Parachute Adams. Jimbo

stiles

Post by stiles » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:11 pm

Yes, but... are they more trouble than they are worth? Do you use regular old WF line for warm water, Jimbo?

~~~ ><Ǽ>

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:18 pm

Most of my warm water fishing is done with 5 or 6wt. GPX WF lines that I use for Trout fishing. Then again I don't normally throw big Spun Deer Hair Poppers and Big Bunny Strip Flys that work well on larger Bass in Reservoirs. If this is your main target a Bass Bug Taper will serve you well. I mainly fish the hill country streams for Bass/Perch and I generally use smaller cork poppers, large nymphs, and Ron's Cat's Whiskers as my main flys and they don't require a Bass Bug Taper to fish them well. Sage has 2 new rods out specifically designed for Bass fishing: the Smallmouth, and the Largemouth. These rods come with their own flyline designed specifically for each rod and they have taken Bass Bug Tapers to another level. I am going to get a Smallmouth rod when I can afford it. These 7'11" rods cast beautifully with the Sage lines and are amazingly light in hand yet powerfull. They are selling so many of these rods they can't keep up with the demand. I would like to buy a blank and build one for myself. Jimbo

stiles

Post by stiles » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:04 pm

I can't wait to test out those Sage Bass rods. Something tells me that I'll end up with a Small mouth in my quiver. too.
That said, my 7'9" Wonderod 7wt only set me back $30!

~~~ ><Ǽ>

john

Post by john » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:12 pm

I recently bought one of the Sage Smallmouth rods and it is awesome for throwing big stuff. It has a lot of backbone but feels very light in the hands. It is not ideal for throwing smaller flies, but it does pretty good with normal size buggers and the like. So far, this is an awesome rod, I really like it.