White bass

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:02 pm

That's what I thought. It was the ....................on the .................that gave it away.

david

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:47 pm

Launched Rebecca Creek bridge about 3 pm Saturday 4-7. No whites in 2 hour drift trip down about 3 miles. Water very low and very clear again. Beautiful day, but slow fishing, only picked up 6 bass and perch trolling cranks in the few areas deep enough. Canoe hatch is landing full force at the bridge from the outfitters upstream.

Pon

Coconut Groves

Post by Coconut Groves » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:36 pm

Any reports from Riemers or Tejas? Curious to see if there is any good white bass action lately.
"Strip... Strip... Strip...... Fish On!"

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:20 pm

jchristensen77

My name is in lights!

Post by jchristensen77 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:14 pm

dbayer wrote:This post from the Central Texas Fly Fishers expresses some of the same emotions posted about the trout.

http://www.ctff.org/forums/read.php?2,7103

So, I guess when the boats pull up the rod should come out of the water!

Nice summation on the second post.

david
Those postings were mine David! Well, I broke down and headed back to Riemer's this weekend. I waded downstream from Hamilton Pool Road about two miles. The place was an aquarium!!! Here is what I saw in the first twenty minutes (sorry if I get the names wrong)
1. HUGE buffalo
2. Tons of "slurping" grass carp
3. A couple of largemouths (in the bigger pools) that would go four lbs.
4. A MASSIVE gar
5. groups of spotted gar more in the spawning mood than the chasing my streamer mood
6. the "notorious" bluegill

More good news, there wasnt another human being there, just me and some teenagers when I waded past Hamilton Pool preserve land.

After all of those fish being seen, I manages to land about 15 white bass (mostly smaller males), a couple of guadalupe bass (<12"), and a nice largemouth. So yes, the whites are still there, and yes, I'm going back again. A kayak here would be sweet in the big pools! :D The only problem, I drive a compact.... :cry:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~><~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
><~}}}}]]*>
><~}}}}]]*>