Rebecca Creek

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

pontoonman

Care wading banks above Rebecca creek?

Post by pontoonman » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:01 pm

For you guys that are wading the areas considerably above Rebecca creek bridge, there is some interesting stories being related at the texas kayak site earier referenced by dbayer. I did notice a NEW very large, no trespass sign upstream indicating "members" only or some such thing last time I was in the area...

Pon

Example from Texas Kayak fisherman on river above Rebecca Creek:

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:08 am Post subject: Need facts on river fishing laws!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fish the Guadalupe and had run in with land owner, saying that i couldnt stand on an island and fish. Also told that i couldnt stop and fish a hole had to keep moving on...Reading on the tpwd site.. the "small bill" says i can fish any where in the river that i want...any thoughts.

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:42 pm

The Guadalupe is a navigable stream, and as such the riverbed belongs to the citizens of the state of Texas, below the mean high water mark. So any islands are fair game, as is the stream and the streambed. No landowner can require you to leave an island or "move on," though some may try.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

mopar340

Post by mopar340 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:46 pm

plan to hit the gravelbar from Cypress Creek park Sunday. ( working the river cleanup tomorrow). Any updates appreciated. :wink:
"if it's good to ya, it HAS to be good for ya"

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:30 pm

From the gal at H.O.T. kayaks:

Be careful. We had a landowner that was giving us grief along a navigable river. We did as Kelly mentioned...told the landowner to call the Game Warden or the Sheriff and we'd wait right where we were. Did this once, and he never called anyone. The second time he greeted us by firing a gun at us.

and
The deputy sheriff at the scene told us the landowner was "just having a little target practice" and accused us of trespassing.

The sheriff told us that no one can access the river from public ROW.

To be fair the landowners have legit complaints, like trash, baby diapers, cutting fences with livestock lost, etc.

She may not be referring to the Rebecca Creek area, though.

Pon

mopar340

Post by mopar340 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:31 pm

"like trash, baby diapers, cutting fences with livestock lost"
methinks I've seen a lotta things, but I've never seen anyone throw a baby diaper out of a sit-on kayak. Maybe it's just me.
HOWEVER, in all honesty, that's the EXACT sort of stuff that I, along with other GRTU and interested parties will be picking up tomorrow. Remember we used to make a contest out of the "weirdest" things we found?
Sounds like the landowner is REALLY having problems with coming onto his property by coming THRU the property, as opposed to kayaks, EXCEPT for the canoe livery at the bridge. Education of the landowner about what a flyfisherman in a kayak looks like, as opposed to the "rubber hatch" and trespassers is what he needs.
And it probably wouldn't hurt to remind him that when they made HIS gun, they didn't quit making 'em. :wink:
"if it's good to ya, it HAS to be good for ya"

NathanJK

Re: Care wading banks above Rebecca creek?

Post by NathanJK » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:52 am

pontoonman wrote:For you guys that are wading the areas considerably above Rebecca creek bridge, there is some interesting stories being related at the texas kayak site earier referenced by dbayer. I did notice a NEW very large, no trespass sign upstream indicating "members" only or some such thing last time I was in the area...
I know exactly which sign your talking about, it scared me away from fishing at all the first time I went there. I usually fish under the 311 Bridge, but I REALLY like the Rebecca Creek area from what I've seen of it so far. I went home and re-read all the laws about trespass and such and then went back out fishing again.

Once I got back out fishing, I found that while in theory I needed to stay in the river basically the whole time to be legal (as I understand it), I kept getting passed by other wade fisherman who were walking on the bank. They were walking around like it was no big deal, I stopped and talked to several and nothing about "this is my land" or anything of the such was ever said to make me think that they had a legitimate reason to be walking on the bank. Furthermore, there are very well defined regularly used trails all up and down that river, methinks a LOT of people regularly walk the bank. My compromise was to use the bank when it was absolutely too deep to wade, and to try to stay as close to the water as I possibly could while on the bank. The entire time I was on the bank I kept looking around for an angry guy with overalls and a rifle headed for me! I've had bad experiences with landowners before which were my un-informed fault so I didn't really want a repeat! I don't know if I was right or wrong, and I have NO idea how exactly to define "mean high water mark" and it sounds pretty ambiguous to me.

Oh, and hello! This is my first post on GRTU, I've been lurking here for a long time though, and I sometimes post over at warmfly as well :)

CSJ

Post by CSJ » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:26 am

I try to follow the same guidelines as you Nathan. Good to see that there is someone else who fishes at 311 as well. I thought I was the only one.

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:53 am

I fish downstream from 311 bridge very frequently also, because it is much closer to the house and saves time and gas. The reason I use a minature pontoon is because of the trespassing and confrontation issues previously referenced. Also the area is very popular with bait fishermen and is generally fished out in the immediate area, so you need to get away from the bridge area to get really good action. Maximum current I can handle in the pontoon is about 1100 cfm at that station though. But with very high current flows it is hard to find calm pools and the fishing is slower. The area 1/2 mile below the bridge is very shady and affords protection from blazing sun in the very hot summertime. Sometimes I can even skip the sunscreen, if I know that's where I'll be hanging out...

---Pon

NathanJK

Post by NathanJK » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:01 pm

Good to know there are others also! I have been going upriver a lot at 311 the last few times I went there, to the pool just above the quick part where the little island is. I hadn't had much warm water luck during the winter though. I get out every week or two so if anyone sees me there say howdy! I'll be the guy falling in a lot and looking like he doesn't know what he's doing. I wish I could go more often, but its about 15 bucks in gas for the trip :(

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:43 pm

NathanJK wrote:Good to know there are others also! I have been going upriver a lot at 311 the last few times I went there, to the pool just above the quick part where the little island is. I hadn't had much warm water luck during the winter though. I get out every week or two so if anyone sees me there say howdy! I'll be the guy falling in a lot and looking like he doesn't know what he's doing. I wish I could go more often, but its about 15 bucks in gas for the trip :(
Just a heads up on this 311 high bridge area. Young underage, local kids, sometimes under the bridge involved in substance abuse. They haven't bothered me, but the Sheriff was hauling some away on a couple occasions. The landowners on the right side going upstream before the rapids area don't want you anywhere near their property or even line of sight. They have signs, video cameras, and sometimes even sit in lawn chairs at the river bank trying to run people off. More than once while I was upstream above the rapids, have heard rifle fire coming from downstream bridge area. Don't think anyone knew I was up above, so made me concerned about richochet. Sounded like someone plinking into the river.... These are relatively rare occurences that don't keep me from returning to the area for enjoyment, though.

Can't resist telling a story about this area from years back. One time I had the game warden chasing after me from a distance behind. I stopped to let him catch up, preparing to face up to some kind of violation. Turns out he was looking for the body of a deceased accident victim. From a car crash on 281 bridge during high water weeks earlier... Very unappetizing prospect when you're out trying to relax and enjoy.

Enough ramblings for awhile.

Pon :)

NathanJK

Post by NathanJK » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:37 am

Interesting, I had noticed that they had posted no trespassing signs on trees that were virtually IN the river. That kind of thing annoys me since as we all know, the riverbed is public property. I wish they could get fined or something for trying to annex public land :twisted: I bet the reason I haven't seen the landowners yet then is because I was there in the winter mostly, people trampling around there are a lot rarer at that time of year. It sounds like I might just stick to downriver more, I should probably avoid altercations with people...no matter how wrong they may be! In that area I have no problem staying within the letter of the law and remaining in the river at all the parts I've fished at so far.

I'll keep an eye out for the kids, that sort of thing doesn't surprise me at all. At least I might get a few laughs in at their expense if I get to watch them get hauled off!