Rebecca Creek

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:31 pm

Man, wish I could experience that!
Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:59 pm

Being stuck at the office??

david

mopar340

Post by mopar340 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:00 pm

look at flow levels at Comfort station, then look at Spring Branch.
Nice runoff coming down but not there yet. This may be the weekend to go camping!
"if it's good to ya, it HAS to be good for ya"

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:21 pm

No David, I WAS STUCK AT THE OFFICE today :lol: Now, white bass bumping into my feet everywhere, I would like to experience that!
Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

phil7238

Post by phil7238 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:07 pm

I had plans to hit the Guad Wed morning for trout, but now I really would like to experience hitting the white bass run for the first time, but I've been told there is no way to access Rebecca Creek without a boat or land access. If this is true, does anyone know of any boat rentals nearby, any GRTU friendly landowners, or need a couple of good rowers for a boat owner?

Phil

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:00 am

Fishing shares some characteristics of gambling, seems to me. Skill, luck, and ambient conditions are factors affecting the degree of success. In addition, the mood of the fish themselves is involved. One of the ambient conditions which I consider a negative is after a rain, while the darkness of the water is increasing. What do you guys think?

A spawning run where the fish are bumping into your legs while you are wading should be a positive. At least you know the fish are there and in numbers. Sometimes they don't bite in the numbers you would expect though. Sometimes they are so frenzied they will bite on a bare safety pin. That has been my "mood of the fish" experience, anyway.

During a proper run you don't need access to the sweet remote pools above the gravel bars that stop the motorboats. You can wade in at Rebecca Creek bridge and catch fish right around the bridge area in either direction. You can launch your rowboat downstream at Rebecca Creek boat ramp and row up a few yards back into the creek in either of two directions. You can fish free from the public land in the fork of the creek that parallels the incoming road without a boat. The landowners across from that side also will let you fish on their land for a fee. Sometimes the motorboats will bunch up by the dozens and even hundreds at the gravel bar area when the run is in full swing. Access is not as much of a problem as crowding, as I see it. Trick is to go when everyone else has to work, sleep or doesn't know the run is in high cycle.

Pon

phil7238 wrote:I had plans to hit the Guad Wed morning for trout, but now I really would like to experience hitting the white bass run for the first time, but I've been told there is no way to access Rebecca Creek without a boat or land access. If this is true, does anyone know of any boat rentals nearby, any GRTU friendly landowners, or need a couple of good rowers for a boat owner?

Phil

lhill

Post by lhill » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:36 pm

I went downstream from the bridge about a mile this morning - didn't see, catch or run into any whites, only blacks and perch.
Larry

"None of us ever dies if the deeds we've done continue to do good in a world where trout still swim." Dave Hughes

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:29 pm

I have had to go 2+ miles to pick up the whites. What color was the water and how fast was it flowing? Was it wadeable or did you use a boat? Otherwise it might fit the "mood" category above.

Pon

mopar340

Post by mopar340 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:47 pm

Gonna try the Gravelbar area either/or tomorrow and Sunday.
Wanna try Grey/white and green/white Clouser ( both as a rig?) and the green Nylon minnows we saw at Clinic) but taking u/l with Roadrunner combos. Minnows as last resort.
Mesquite firewood and grill on the 'bar for steaks.
Not the esthetic fun we think of but a helluva lot of fun and good practice with a flyrod.
Ideas/thoughts?

TrentW

Post by TrentW » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:59 pm

whoa! Sounds like a good time. I will bring the scotch and fish fry! :lol:

lhill

Post by lhill » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:44 am

Pon - The water is pretty clear and flowing good but wadeable which is what I was doing. I fished mostly at the end of a gravel bar. If they were there they were in a hiding mood.
Larry

"None of us ever dies if the deeds we've done continue to do good in a world where trout still swim." Dave Hughes

mopar340

Post by mopar340 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:20 am

Larry,was that you fishing the end of the bar last weekend?

lhill

Post by lhill » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:56 am

No, not last weekend.
Larry

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:04 am

Whites still scattered in pools downstream from Rebecca Creek bridge on Sun 3-24. One caught in pool below rapids picture #1 by Ron Mc Sun Mar 9 using spin and lures. Five more whites in deep center area of pool referenced in Pontoonman message Mar 17. Also 5 bass and 2 perch on drift down from bridge to pools. Water level still low and slightly green in color, can see down maybe 3' max. Drizzle and chilling winds about 6 pm cut trip short.

Pon

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:15 pm