Rebecca Creek

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

TrentW

Post by TrentW » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:45 am

Nothing beats Sac a lait cooked Pontchartrain style. It will make you slap your momma. I hear white bass have a similar taste. I can't wait to catch some and cook them up!

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:12 am

yeah, but isn't a Pirogue a big Ravioli? :mrgreen:
Ron Mc

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:59 am

[quote="Ron Mc"]nice photos - those are rock bass - the fish I call a goggle-eye, Ambloplites sp.

both names are also listed by the state as a common name for green sunfish, Lepomis cyanellus

Both names are also used for the fish I call Warmouth, Lepomis gulosus
[img]

These are the ones I was refering to! Thanks Mc and Jimbo for the pics and references.

Back to Rebecca, we got a lot of rain in north San Antonio over a short period- about an inch. Nothing much fell in the headwaters as the latest flow rates indicate only a minor bump. Any guess as to whether this will be enough to get the aforementioned white bass run renewed?

Pon

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:58 pm

the short-term increase was 30% going into the lake - that is substantial.
Fish have already been up to the bridge - the lake is high enough they have the option of running up and running back down into the lake when it turns cold.
I would say this is a very good time to hit it - it will get better, especially if we get more rain, but the push should be generally upriver now.
Ron Mc

gdsanders

Post by gdsanders » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:39 pm

Some great photos. I used to catch Goggleyes (Rockbass) all the time up in Eastern Oklahoma's Ozark streams that feed into the Arkansas River. They are plentiful throughout the Ozarks but not very prevalent at all in the Ouachita drainage.

Also it is very interesting regarding the rainbow. I'd also vote that it washed downstream. Rebecca Creek is a beautiful little stream for sure.

maxh

Post by maxh » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:01 am

I caught gaspars in cherokee creek a few weeks ago there are plenty of them in there. It's in Bend, close to lampasas. They grow big and put up a good fight- a good time on a fly rod.
Max

phil7238

Post by phil7238 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:48 am

Is it possible to access the areas where the white bass are running now at Rebecca Creek if you are wading only? I was looking for an area close to San Antonio to try this out with a fly rod. I also heard an area by highway 99 south of SA was good was well.
Phil

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:23 pm

I was up a Ruedy's camp above Medina today - still too early. My buddy caught little males earlier in the week, but they're able to run back into the lake We probably have another week before this will be fishing well, and it will probably be gangbusters in 2 to 3 weeks.
Ron Mc

SeanH

Post by SeanH » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:36 am

This fish is a dead ringer for a spotted bass rather than a smallmouth...

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:15 am

yes, and I seem to recognize it as my hand and my photo, as well.

It's a generic middle Guadalupe river bass. There have been almost 40 years for its genes to be diluted by smallmouth. It's a river bass and smallie is as good a term for generic river bass as any. The way I see it, if you are outside of Johnson Creek or Cibolo Creek, you can call it what you choose - and I can call it what I choose. I wish as much as anyone for it to be a wild, endemic Guadalupe bass.
The only time it really matters what you call it is if you decide to kill it - the state as no size limits on the State Fish.

If you're fishing the Blanco, make sure you call everything a smallmouth, because that strain of endemic Guadalupe bass is extinct. It wasn't even threatened when I started catching Guadalupe bass.
Ron Mc

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:12 pm

White were back today, Monday 3-17. Decided on a quick drift float trip before the expected Tuesday rains, launched at the bridge about 3:30 pm. Caught/released 7 whites between 4:30 and 5:30 pm at a pool right above where the original motor boat rapids were in high water. The place has very steep and very high banks which provided protection from high winds. The owner on the left side big spread going downriver has recently planted trees at the peak of the banks if anyone decides to explore the area. Also caught/released 6 Guad/blacks and 2 perch in the pool and area above, where some drifting sections could be done. Did see a fly man working the rapids right below the pool but nothing came in the 15 minutes he was in view. About 2 dozen church kids were camping guests at the property on the left at the bridge. Some were using bait from the bank and in the water without much success from chatting with one as I floated/pulled through the rapids area. They're out there Mulder, enjoy.

Pon

mopar340

Post by mopar340 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:51 pm

went Sunday in my boat, launched at Comal ramp and went all the way up to what you generally consider " as far as a boat will go" (gravelbars). Took a workmate and his 12 year-old. Weather crappy as you already know. Tried fly rod w/ white bass-style clousers, nothing... u/l with Roadrunners and any/everything else.Nothing. Bud and kid using live minnows on Carolina-style rig on bottom, nothing. Nothing.
Saw 2 fish caught the whole time.
Same trip that I have done a zillion times before. Ron's right, pray for a thunderstorm :wink:
"if it's good to ya, it HAS to be good for ya"

TrentW

Post by TrentW » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:20 am

50% chance of rain right now! I see little sprinkles, but not much. It is trying! Someone from the Canyon Lake area should give us a report later today.
My fav song: CCR "Have You Ever Seen The Rain"

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:39 am

Just got a call from the river - they are pounding in the rain.

Roger said they are running into his feet trying to get upriver.
Ron Mc

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:29 pm

Dang, and me stuck at the office...
Mark Dillow