Rebecca Creek

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:48 pm

Thanks for the great pictures and species expertise Jbo & Mc! There is a species I've caught at the Boerne Lake dam which the locals call "goggle eye", "rock bass" or "gaspergoo". Has the flat body of a perch and a large mouth shaped like a black bass more or less! Want to hazard a guess as to what it is? I've also caught a rare white bass at Boerne Lake, which maybe wouldn't be expected.

Hat's off to you for being able to walk it 2 miles down and back up above the Rebecca bridge. There are some deep holes and high banks which would take a lot of stamina, expecially in waders. Will you switch to canoes/kayaks if these rains leave us with a faster current and higher water level? I can't seem to pick my way on foot downstream at any flow above about 300 or so... I have also caught a rare rainbow and even whites off season in the pools just below the 5 th rapids from high bridge. Rapids look a lot like the area in your pictures. Maybe there's only one rainbow, and it's the same one you guys caught, Hee, Hee.....

Pon

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:58 pm

Here's what a Rock Bass looks like
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&r ... 1&ie=UTF-8
A Gaspergoo is a Fresh water drum that looks like the top image in this link
http://www.lafishmag.com/shoepick.html
Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:16 pm

nice photos - those are rock bass - the fish I call a goggle-eye, Ambloplites sp.

both names are also listed by the state as a common name for green sunfish, Lepomis cyanellus

Both names are also used for the fish I call Warmouth, Lepomis gulosus

hi pon,
we had great exercise and exploring yesterday, with a little great fishing mixed in.
By tomorrow, I believe the white bass will be all the way up to the rapid we're talking about above.

In 2006, it never rained in the spring, and the white bass spawn was late, and literally driven by the wind. In late June, we got a thunderstorm with a 1200 cfs short-term runoff. It triggered a false white bass run and they ran all the way to the rapid we talked about above. The water fell again quickly, and white bass and stripers were caught in that pool all summer.
I know - I was catching them there all summer.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc

TrentW

Post by TrentW » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:34 pm

As a kid I would catch Gaspergoo in the Mississippi River. I have not seen any around here. That picture of Shoepick and Gaspergoo made me laugh my head off. They are equivalent to whitefish or other "trash fish". They love muddy water and cane poles. :wink:

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:38 pm

Trent, I haven't seen fresh water drum this far west but there are many in the Colorado and east from there. I've caught them on sinking line and cats whiskers to 8-lbs at my sister's boat dock on Lake Livingston.
Ron Mc

TrentW

Post by TrentW » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:04 pm

I am feeling a one fly goo tournament coming on. If we don't get into those, we can always try some Sac a Lait fishing from my Pirogue.
--Rajun Cajun

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:02 pm

I've caught many a Gaspergoo back in my Tournamant Bass fishing days. Most all of the central texas lakes I've fished, Fayette, Canyon, Choke, Amistad, all Colorado River lakes have Gaspergoos. I caught one fishing for stripers one year below lake Marble Falls that went about 20lbs. Jimbo

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:04 pm

Jimbo Roberts wrote:Yet another rainbow (stranger) caught in a place it shouldn't be! I would definitely say it came from somewhere upstream, but where is a good question? I wonder if we have any Rainbows swimming around in the deep water of Canyon Lake? And that first Bass definitely has a lot of guadalupe in it judging by the color of it's scales alone (A lot of gold). Jimbo
My guess is that there are a few rainbows in Canyon Lake proper. But they would have to be really reclusive as there are so many agressive predators at the cold end of the lake. Huge stripers of state record size in the first few miles of tailrace would appear to maintain themselves on stocked trout.

Some past projects of possible interest to the transplanted Yanks are the 3/4 million walleye that were stocked at the cold end of Canyon about 25 years ago. I was lucky enough to catch as late as the 90's. Also wonder what happened to the saugeye project at Live Oak lake.... Heck, even a piranna was caught at Boerne Lake and tarpon and corvina at Braunig/ Calaveras. The research stations went wild experimenting and dumped leftover stock after cross breeding experiments in past years. Results were some mighty surprised anglers at periodic times....

Pon

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:37 pm

I will hold that rainbows caught above the lake since last spring probably came down from Joshua Creek Ranch (and maybe Shonto) with the high flows last spring and summer.
Ron Mc

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:47 pm

Good thought, Ron.

That's a nice, aerated pool that would be conducive to trout, if it stayed colder. There are also private ponds along the way that are stocked with trout. One of my neighbors in my old development near Bergheim announced his intention to stock trout in his stretch of the Guadalupe, though I never heard if he did so.

But I'll bet they came from Shonto or Joshua Creek, just like you've guessed.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:00 pm

Mick, the properitor of my favorite taqueria lives on McQueeny Lake.
Every summer he tells me stories about rainbows being caught on the lake.
They undoubtedly washed down from our water.
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:10 pm

Wouldn't it funny if through our efforts to stock the Guadalupe River we ended up creating a Trout fishery in Dunlap and McQueeny? Jimbo

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:23 am

Let's all raise our glasses to finding big trout in unlikely places!
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:21 am

Mick, tipping the glass at 4:23am? I hope it's coffee - ha.

But I love the spirit - cheers, bro.

There is something else about the spot Alex was fishing this weekend - there is a large cave vent about 50 yards downstream from the plunge pool - in the summer you can smell the bats. I suspect there is a steady flow of cold water adding to the river there.
Ron Mc

bwilkins

Post by bwilkins » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:17 am

Trent - if you're gonna have a goo tournament, you might as well add the buffalo and grinnel (bowfin) and make it a Bayou Grand Slam. (and send me all the sac-a-lait you happen to catch)
Brad Wilkins