Rebecca Creek

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

bassackwards

Rebecca Creek

Post by bassackwards » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:57 am

Is Rebecca Creek a good place to put in my little pontoon boat? What's the current like right now? How about the parking situation?

I was thinking about checking out the white bass situation tomorrow. If the cold weather has killed the action, then I can still go trout fishing at Rio.

mopar340

Post by mopar340 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:32 am

" little pontoon boat?"
Define....we talking inflatable or like a flat deck aluminum with a motor?
Inflatable I wouldn't, powered I'd definately go.( best fishing is a few miles UP river.
Plenty of parking at County Park/boat ramp.
"if it's good to ya, it HAS to be good for ya"

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:00 am

Rebecca bridge is low and perfect for my lightweight 6' inflatable kick boat, or a float tube. Lots of portaging required because of shallow rapids. Or you can have a motorboat bring you up from the Rebecca launch ramp and wade across the very shallow rapids working your way upstream...

Pon

bassackwards

Post by bassackwards » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:24 am

I have a Hobie Floatcat without a motor. I've paddled it quite a ways upstream from Reimers before. There was one faster riffle that I nearly didn't make. How does the current on that section of the Guad compare? Is the low water bridge near the boat ramp?

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:14 pm

bassackwards wrote:I have a Hobie Floatcat without a motor. I've paddled it quite a ways upstream from Reimers before. There was one faster riffle that I nearly didn't make. How does the current on that section of the Guad compare? Is the low water bridge near the boat ramp?
There is plenty of parking at Rebecca bridge, but it is a hike if you pay attention to the signs. Going down from the bridge is easily doable with the Hobie, but going back up to the bridge would be difficult.
The best boat for these situations is the most lightweight, with the shallowest draft. Because you may have to pull/carry uphill against fast flowing rapids that are 4" deep and extend 50 yards in places. That might be hard to do for one man with the big Hobie.

There are several subdivisions just below where the motorboats are blocked off where one could exit a drift trip down. But you need membership, or to know a member that would pick you up there. Otherwise going further down to the Rebecca launch exit for a pickup would be maybe 8 miles, and you would be fighting large boat wakes on weekends.

Check out http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0042491318947a.shtml which about the weight of the pontoon I use (18#). Had to modify myself to accept oars or tiny motor. Small enough to pack for air travel, so I can use when on fishing vacations.

Pon

Ron Mc

warming up

Post by Ron Mc » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:34 pm

took my group to fish down from Rebecca's Creek crossing this morning, hoping to find some white bass.
We waded down a couple of miles - as far as we could (and the pool I was hoping to make)- and, while we saw a few white bass in the pool, we couldn't turn them.
It's still too early. We need some rain to make them run, and it will happen this week.
I had thought about above Medina, but it wouldn't be any fun if the whites weren't there.
I picked this spot because I knew we could always go upriver and rescue the outing if we didn't find whites.
So two miles back up to the crossing, and most of another mile upriver.
In that mile, we passed some gorgeous water.
And no wonder
we found some willing smallies
and bluegill
Alex hooked up the fish of the day - no lie - a 25" rainbow - I saw it airborne a dozen times.
How it got there, we have no idea -
Maybe came down last year from Joshua Creek Ranch and summered over in the high flows and plunge pool.
Maybe somebody moved it up from the tailwater but the former makes more sense.
It took Alex around
and down (he managed to stay hooked)
but finally broke him off.
We fished that pretty water on the way back down.
And I'm glad, because I got my smallie of the day.
Nice to turn defeat into success.
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:50 pm

Mighty pretty water, I wish I could have come along, but I am still battling a case of vertigo. Hey that last one at least has some Guadalupe in him/her. Look at the scales below the lateral line, each tipped with a bit of color, a sure sign of the native! Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:01 pm

yes, I think they are both guad/smallie/tx-river bass
fat, healthy fish, anyway

hope you get better.
I wasn't kidding about Alex hooking up a 25" rainbow 25 miles above the tailrace.
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:31 pm

Yet another rainbow (stranger) caught in a place it shouldn't be! I would definitely say it came from somewhere upstream, but where is a good question? I wonder if we have any Rainbows swimming around in the deep water of Canyon Lake? And that first Bass definitely has a lot of guadalupe in it judging by the color of it's scales alone (A lot of gold). Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:39 pm

you and I are opposite on that one - I agree the marks are like a Guadalupe bass, but smallmouth have the copper sheen, and Guadalupes have a blue sheen. You need to fish Cibolo - those are endemic Guadalupe bass.

Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:24 pm

There is always going to be a range of variation in the coloration of a particular species throughout it range. Populations isolated across different drainages will take on slightly different characteristics while still being classified as the same genus and species. While many descriptions describe the Guadalupe Bass as mainly green in color
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/gdb/
You can also find some pictures and descriptions that note a gold coloration to this species
http://www.bio.txstate.edu/~tbonner/txf ... eculii.htm
Most of the ones that I have caught have shown a distinctive gold tint to the scales below the lateral line. Other distinguishing features which are not mentioned in this discription are the tooth patch that is located on it's tongue and the fact that they are truely a member of the Sunfish family and not a True Bass. Jimbo

CSJ

Post by CSJ » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:36 pm

When you guys are saying "Rebecca Creek bridge" are you referring to the little low bridge on Rebecca Creek road off of 311? I know you have to park way up the hill according to the signs but can you just get in the water from the bridge and be legal or what? Have often been tempted but never have fished it.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:32 am

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/smb/
Jimbo, the copper-tint is from the smallmouth genes.
I understand the only way to tell whether they are true Guadalupe bass or hybrid smallmouth is a liver biopsy.
If they are not in Johnson Creek or Cibolo Creek, I don't call them Guadalupe bass, because at best, they are hatchery fish.
You call them what you choose.

Chris, that's the place. It's one of those places I've been fishing a long time. Stay away from the fenced banks.

The white bass will run today because of the warm rain. You heard it here first.
Ron Mc

bassackwards

Post by bassackwards » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:46 am

It looks like your group had a good time, Ron. Nice pics!

I decided to give Circleville a shot on Saturday. It started off slow, but the sandies started biting as it warmed up. I caught 2 that were 14" and one that was 11".

I also caught an 8" crappie and saw someone catch a really big one. It would be nice to figure out how to catch a whole stringer full of those...

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:08 am

I believe today's rain will ramp up the white bass run all over.
But we're really still in crappie-spawning season, and just edging into the white-bass-spawning season
Ron Mc