Last Wet Wade of the Year

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

Jimbo Roberts

Last Wet Wade of the Year

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:35 pm

I finally was able to get away today to chase some Bass and Perch again. Every year about this time the water's getting colder and the Perch and Bass bite is slowing down. Still with this warmer than usual weather we've been having lately, there was time to give them one more shot before returning to Trout fishing below Canyon Lake. I drove out to the Upper Guadalupe to a favorite crossing of mine. Thank you Ron!
It was overcast and windy, but I decided to wet wade anyway. It ended up being a little too cold as water temperatures were 59 and I don't think the air temps ever reached 70. I started out fishing my Dinny Bug on top and it worked just fine.
The Perch, of the larger variety for this water, wanted to play too.

As the sun rose and the morning was wearing thin, I thought I should throw some Cat's Whiskers in the deeper water, but nothing seemed biting there. So I went back to banging the shallows with my Dinny Bug and started catching again. I think the fish were up in the shallows trying to find some warmth too. The Perch where spread out down the bank and I caught a good one about every 10 feet.
Bigger Bass where also here.
I worked on down through the pool and the numbing waist deep water was taking it's toll. The light doesn't seem to last long this time of year so time for just a few more Perch before heading home.
I was cold through and through now. I used to be able to stand this kind of wet wading, but I was showing my age and shivering every now and then. So I headed back to the car with a little light left on the water.
With about a hour to go before sunset, I could have slid on my waders and walked back down the river. But then again, I'm older now and already had some very good outings at this crossing this past summer. No need to beat on them every second. Good memories of this water will carry with me through the winter. It's going to be here next year and you have to call it quits sometime. And for me, it's sometime right now. Jimbo
Last edited by Jimbo Roberts on Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:08 am, edited 6 times in total.

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:43 pm

Do you photoshop (digitally process your own photos) Jimbo, or is your digital Point and Shoot camera just really amazing? Great pictures with vivid color! Nice composition too.
Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:15 am

The photos are shot with a rather plain Canon Power Shot SD 450. All I do is upload the photos to the computer, download them to Photobucket and resize them for the use on forums. Ron showed me how to do this and I wouldn't know where to start to digitally enhance photos. I have many years behind a camera and the first rule in photography is; great shots are taken with the light coming over your shoulder. It really brings out the color, adds depth, and minimizes glare. Most of my shots, up to this point, were taken on film. Digital cameras are still new to me. Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:07 am

I know that spot (I should, I've been fishing it 25 years).
Nice bass, Jimbo. The big ones are pretty spooky there.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:05 am

And Thanks to you for taking me down this stretch! I still would like to float down to the next crossing next year and fish the deeper water downstream and next year I will. Hope your up for it as being your home water you deserve to go on my first float through here too. Jimbo

dale_connally

Post by dale_connally » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:26 pm

Jimbo, I agree with MxMan....your Canon is working great for you. Believe you had not only some great lighting on this trip, but some photography talent as well. ;-) Very nice.
Dale

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:30 pm

I would say the wide angle end of his lens is wider than most, which is what gives the quick color saturation, especially of the blue sky. And his photos are most pleasant - especially the subject.
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:43 pm

Thanks everyone! You know I fish alone quite a bit by choice and it's nice to share these trips with everyone. Some are so good most would not believe the stories, I may not even believe them myself if I was not famaliar with these waters. I haven't carried a camera that much these past years. Even when I did, most photos would be a fish lying in the wet grass or held out at arms lenght anyway. By not carrying one I missed a lot of terrific photo ops. Not too many pictures of me grining ear to ear holding and fish to be proud of. Now I have some photos for verification. Still there was that 6lb+ Bass this summer that's just a story. I wish I had a picture of that one. The one that didn't get away! Jimbo

Jason Garrett

Post by Jason Garrett » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:02 am

Man. you're famous in my house. I can't wait for you to report back with pics because the best one from your post always becomes the desktop background on my computer for the week. Keep them coming. By the way the award for best picture goes to the one of that shady spot on the Guad I've seen pop up time to time. Every time I see it I put my head in my hands and exhale deeply like a fourteen year old in love.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:29 pm

um, this one?
Ron Mc

Jason Garrett

Post by Jason Garrett » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:43 pm

That's the one. Sometimes I wish I was a Cypress tree.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:57 pm

have to admit, that's about my favorite of my photos, as well.
Can almost see the invisible fish lurking in those pools, and I caught 7 bass in the second pool.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:44 pm

Yes sir.... The rivers of the Texas Hill Country and the Cypress Trees that line them. That's our home waters alright, mighty beautiful, and plenty of good fishing to boot! Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:55 am

here was our last warmwater trip of the year - last weekend - up around Center Point

Haven't been able to fish this water for a year and the flows finally dropped to let us in. It ranks high on my favorite places list.
We had a beautiful foggy morning. (they asked me about the drive - "I put on my blue-blockers and sped up...)
Don't let the flat fool you. The river is about to plunge.
We waded and busted brush to fish the chutes.
Everybody caught fish.
they don't have to be big - for the water they inhabit, they're all big
that being said, Mike broke his biggest hooked-up bass ever, and Ewell lost one in the chute that he said had a coffe-can mouth (there was no place to land it there, anyway). Danny got a huge catfish that no one photographed.

Image Texas Brook Trout

everybody caught more than a dozen - made for a nice morning

another nice photo (in spite of the guy in the middle)

coming back up, we hauled out about 50 lbs of litter
well, OK, Danny and Ewell hauled - the rest of us just picked it up - ha
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:08 pm

I wish I had been there for that trip! I hate it when I have to work when your having one of those outtings. We'll get them again next year! Jimbo