... while the gettin's good

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

maxh

... while the gettin's good

Post by maxh » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:55 pm

The Colorado is fishing good right now so it's time to maximize the opportunity while the gettin's good. Went back last Friday with a big group, six guys in 2 boats. The flows were way down in the afternoon maybe a little too low. Still, lots of good fish caught by all. One probably doesn't get to see one of these too often around here:
I hope John and Mike see this and post some pics. They got some good ones. No big cats for me but some nice bass, they're sure healthy in there.Image[/img]
The last long flat stretch at the end is always such a gruelling paddle in the kayak. Not so this time, definitely "not roughing it".
Max

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:29 pm

I spy Alvin, he is a very good guide. I remember wade fishing and short floats on the Colorado below Town lake when I lived in Austin and the fall is without a doubt the best time to fish there. Your pictures bring back good memories of my old stomping grounds. Jimbo

maxh

Post by maxh » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:08 pm

I guess Alvin had the day off, I don't think he get's to get that drift boat out around here that much, certainly nowhere but the Colorado. Anyways, he's good friends with my buddy Shea, the guy who I have to thank for originally getting me into this sport. There were definitely some heavy hitters on the river that day, I think 3 or 4 out of the six of us were guides. Some nice loops zinging around!

dale_connally

Post by dale_connally » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:26 pm

Amen on the Colorado. I fished it Friday afternoon as well. I landed a nice cat, another one broke me off. Couple of nice bass, lots of small ones.
Fun day!
Dale

First attempt at pics.
I don't take very pretty pics of fish when I'm alone and afraid of 'em ;-)

Fat 16" Bucketmouth

Cheap Shuttle :D

john

Post by john » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:28 am

Good times man!

Here are a couple more pictures from that stretch on Friday.

That's a great section of the river, and it's fishing really well right now. There are some other stretches on that river that don't get fished much that are probably as good or better!

maxh

Post by maxh » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:06 am

John, I think you had the best day out of everyone. We need to do that upper stretch soon.
Dale, I like that shuttle. You must have been tired after that long paddle at the end and a brisk 6 mile ride. Throw in a couple of laps around the park there and you could have yourself a triathlon!
Max

dale_connally

Post by dale_connally » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:24 am

I found a nice shortcut from the park directly to Post Oak Road that cut off a couple of miles and MUCH less traffic. Easiest bike shuttle I've done so far! Just hated to get off the water. The fishing between 3:30 and 5 was awesome. Would like to have fished til dusk.

Those are great fish in your pics...you guys got into a little bigger fish than I. My biggest cat was 26".

I think the Colorado is my best bet to catch a 10 lber on a fly rod....it'll probly have whiskers :-)

Dale

orion

Post by orion » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:09 am

Nice pics. And some good fishn.

maxh

Post by maxh » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:28 pm

We floated a different stretch yesterday, 8 miles. The fishing was good for catfish, the bass fishing seemed a little slow. We had to paddle on through a lot of good looking water due to time constraints.

The sycamores starting to turn made for good fall color for Texas.
I drifted past a catfish out in the middle of the stream, belly up, at first I thought it was dead. Then I saw that it was doing slow loops in the water, at the top of the circle he was upside down with his belly on the surface, seemingly unaware of the big bright orange kayak coming alongside him. If I had been an osprey it would have been all over for him. I should have tried to get a picture but I got greedy and tried to snatch him out of the water. He didn't come to life until I grabbed him then he shot off like lightning. I saw something similar last year; a catfish swimming upstream through a riffle upside down on the surface. I thought it was maybe a sick fish but now I'm wondering if it isn't a trait they have. Does anybody know anything about this?

The best part of the day was my friend Neil, who is new to flyfishing, caught his first catfish, therefore his first big fish. It was great, he's hooked now.

It's definitely a challenge to land those cats out of a kayak, and on the Colorado especially. You'll have your rod doubled over in one hand with the fish on the end trying to run under a sunken log as you try to paddle yourself one-handed with the other out from the overhanging trees and log jams.. it get's pretty hairy..what a blast!

[/img]
Max

maxh

Post by maxh » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:09 am

Hit the Colorado one last time for the year yesterday. It has definitely slowed down a lot. Caught a few decent bass but no big catfish. I think they turn off completely around this time.

Can someone weigh in here on what species of bass this is? I think it may be a mammoth Guadalupe. I always thought that the horizantal marks/bars on the belly were indicative of Guadalupes. I know that they hybridize heavily, but I still have such a hard time sorting out what is what with Bass.
Max

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:27 am

It's hard to tell, but looking at the scales below the lateral line it at least has some Guadalupe/Spotted in it's genetics. It also could certainly be some sort of hybrid with a Smallmouth. The pure strain Guads/Spots will have a tooth patch on their tougue that you can look for and it is greatly reduced (but not necessarily eliminated) in their hybrids. Jimbo

maxh

Post by maxh » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:44 am

Interesting that you say that. I was just reading in the current Southwest Fly Fishing that researchers found that Guadalupes and Spotteds did not interbreed and that is how they sorted guadalupes out from their previous id as a sub-species of spotted bass, although they do interbreed with smallmouth. Not to say that that is positively correct, I have read enough conflicting reports to be quite confused. Max

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:59 am

I am just saying that some people call Guadalupes Spots because they are their closest relative. I am not sure as to whether Guadalupes and Spots interbreed but they could produce a viable hybrid if they did. The fish you caught is a Guadalupe or Guadalupe/Smallmouth hybrid. I also read that article in the Southwest Flyfishing and the information is generally good there are some details that vary with what I know. Most noteably the state record is 4.62 lbs caught from the Blanco. Anyway it's good to get some publicity for the TPWD restoration efforts ongoing. Jimbo

Danny S

Post by Danny S » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:18 pm

Seems that everytime I come back from one of our rivers, I end up going on line to look at the different "bass" species. I have caught those I think are spotted (based on markings), but yet have the lateral belly stripes. Then catch one that is more like a smallie with lateral belly lines. I just finally decided to appreciate the ones I catch and quit trying to ID them. Thanks to Max and Jimbo, I now know there is a basis to my CORNfusion.

Now if I can just figure out which one has the orange ring around the outer portion of its eyeball. Shaped and colored (green) like a bass, no distinctive lateral or vertical lines anywhere, but has the orange ring on the outer edge of the eyeball like some of the sunfish/orange belly/longear. I thought about maybe a warmouth, but thought they were more a brownish color?

maxh

Post by maxh » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:56 pm

Danny S wrote: I just finally decided to appreciate the ones I catch and quit trying to ID them.
Amen Danny.