Rod choices

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

jsrieck

Rod choices

Post by jsrieck » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:16 pm

How do y'all deal with the "Hill Country Catch-22": Most of the fish are fairly small but you need larger flies...so the rod makes the fish feel puny!

I generally find myself fishing with size 6 hair bugs and weighted wooley buggers which if I use a 6 wt isn't much fun when a panfish bites. However, if you go down to a 4wt or smaller you can't really cast the larger bugs

what rods do y'all use and in what situations?
Last edited by jsrieck on Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danny S

Post by Danny S » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:14 pm

I usually use a 4 or 5 wt rod; 6.5' or 8.5'. The largest fly I tie for the rivers is a #8 and I use a lot of smaller soft hackled flies (#12 or 14) also for bass and sunfish. I am contemplating a 6 wt for a day trip this week, mainly because I may fish an area that likely has not seen much pressure this summer and may hold some large fish (I'm hoping). But--I will not be without the 4 wt. Try using a sinking or sink tip line, or sinking leader rather than heavily weighted flies. I usually use floating lines but will have a sinking line or leader with me--just in case.
Last edited by Danny S on Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:40 pm

Vince Cummings Water Witch 7-1/2' glass 6/7-wt.
Casts like a bow and arrow, flexes like a 3-wt.

Phillipson Master MF70 7' 6-wt glass - if I can only have one rod for the hill country, this is it.

5-7wt. rods in medium lengths, cane and fiberglass are perfect for the hill country.

Image Image

I match rods to the overhang and the force of the current - I pick them for the outing like a golfer would pick clubs for the shot. I'll fish 8' in wide open water, and go all the way down to 6' rods for the tightest creeks.
They're all generally 5- and 6-wt rods - all cane and glass (and a couple of short 7-wts for fast water)

OK, I know nobody is making these rods unless you have one custom made (there are actually a couple, Global Dorber Ultraweave in 6'9" comes to mind). Mark Steffen and Mike McFarland will make you custom glass for no more than a good graphite rod costs.

The closest thing in graphite is probably TFO's Finesse 7'9" 5-wt. - Jimbo?
I've also heard a very good review on Sage's new 7'10" smallmouth rod.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:59 pm

Yeap.... TFO Finesse Rods are rather slow in action for graphite and work well on the tighter creeks, throw larger flies like #8 2X heavy 2Xlong Cats Whisker and large cork poppers. Still soft enough to flex and have fun with the Perch, strong enough to play and land 3lb. and larger Bass. They are also very reasonably priced. I would also like to hear about Sage's new Smallmouth rod!!! Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:44 pm

my friend Joe Cornwall hasn't finished his review on this rod, but here is what he posted on a fly rod bass board that leans toward venerable glass rods:
I cast both the Sage rods yesterday at the FFR show. They are amazing! They come WITH the line. Jerry Siem, rod designer for Sage, told me he designed these to have a slow, deliberate casting stroke that maximizes accuracy over distance. For graphite they have a wonderful feel. I'll be getting the smallmouth version, for certain. The rods are designed for use only with the supplied lines, Siem says you can use other lines but that's not the point of the system. Its a well thought out rod and a significant departure from what I normally think of from Sage.
here's Sage's video hype from the Retailer's show
http://flyfishing.hook.tv/Clip.aspx?key ... 264540A260

Also, TL Johnson is expanding his line of S-glass rods.
http://flyfishohio.com/western_thinking.htm
Last edited by Ron Mc on Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:11 pm

The Black Bass Rod is yellow! I wonder what it it made of? Most rods are graphite these days, but yellow rods bring to mind the Fenglass rods of yesteryear. I wonder if they are fiberglass rods? Looks cool with those red wraps on the yellow rod blank. I think I need to ask more about this rod. Sure sounds perfect for what we are doing in the hill country! Jimbo

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:46 am

I tried finding out more about Sage's new Smallmouth and Largemouth flyrods. I even checked out Sage's own website and apparently they are rather tight lipped about these new rods. Both are 7'11" in lenght and come with their own special line designed for them, but no mention as to their construction. The Smallmouth Rod is called a 7-8wt.( using a 290 grain flyline) and the Largemouth is a 9-10wt. (using a 330 grain flyline). The color is more golden than yellow I think after looking at Sage's website. This could be a very cool rod for our hill country streams. I can't take any credit for these rods, but I have been complaining to Carey for many years about the lack of a suitable rod from Sage to fish these tight little Hill Country Streams. I wonder..... Jimbo

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:56 am

I tried to order the smallmouth version of that rod from Feather-Craft this morning. They called to say they'd had a dozen of each rod (smallmouth and largemouth) and sold out in two days. They're backordered until the end of October.

But my name's on the list.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:40 pm

Ron,

Your Phillipson Master is beautiful. Have you ever cast a Phillipson Epoxite? If so, how do you compare the Master to the Epoxite?

Alex

dale_connally

Post by dale_connally » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:00 pm

Just to throw in a different approach. On the Colorado tomorrow I'm taking a TFO Teeny 5 wt. It is a fast rod, relatively light for a fighting butt. I'm hoping I need the butt on some big cats and bucketmouths ;-) Also comes in a 4 wt. Third trip for this rod. So far, so good.
Dale

Pic of my best bass last trip kinda cropped the fighting butt off so I won't put up fish pic...rod's bigger, but fish smaller than Ron's. :-)

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:21 pm

hi Alex, just got back from the coast. We had a blast.
To me, the tipover ferrule Phillipsons are a bit softer than the metal ferrule rods. Not a bad thing unless you're trying to cast distance.
It's pretty obvious from the prices on ebay, the Epoxite Registered rods are the most desirable rods, at least to collectors.

Mark McFarland is now on line - he will build you whatever you want...
http://www.mcfarlandrods.com/mcfarland_ ... spruce.asp
Ron Mc

gneubauer

Post by gneubauer » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:12 am

TFO makes a 7'6" 6wt in thier TiCrX series. This is a great short rod for the price.

-greg
GRTU Chapter President

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:30 am

My Sage Smallmouth rod was delivered on Friday (with the matching 290 grain WFF line) and I had a chance to cast it over the weekend. It's a very powerful rod that is designed for sidearm and underhand casting from a boat to (or under) cover. A traditional overhand cast can really turn over whatever you want to throw, but it's at its best skipping flies up against the bank or under a dock. I had trouble controlling it at first, until I slowed my casting stroke. Then I found it to be quite accurate at picking out the holes in the logjams of Sloan Creek.

I'll provide a fuller report when I've had more time to try it out.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:51 am

Greg,

I haven't cast a TFO TiCrX (my 10ft. 5wt. Professional is my go-to trout rod). Is the 7'6" 6wt. a very stiff and fast rod?

Alex

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:41 pm

Mick you lucky dog! I'm still waiting to hear when they will be available through Rodmakers or Tackle Box. The slower action is exactly what I had hoped it would be for the Hill Country rivers/streams we fish. As far as the TFO TiCrX rods are all very fast and I think the fastest of the actions that TFO makes. I chose the TFO Finesse series in 7'9" 5wt, the shortest/heaviest in the Finesse series. I need slower actions to deliever precise casts at close quarters. I can't wait to fish the Smallmouth rod for some of our pet fish. Jimbo