floating the guad

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

jsrieck

floating the guad

Post by jsrieck » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:15 pm

When the flows are at a more normal level is it possible to float and run the entirety of the trophy trout waters? For that matter, can you float from even further up the river towards the dam?

When I say "float and run" - I mean use a jon boat with a small outboard to float down the river and then run back up it and do it again....

Thanks!

By the way, is an outboard legal on that part of the river??

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:40 pm

The short answer is no. There are multiple weirs (small dams) along the course of the river that can be carefully forded or portaged in a raft or kayak, but it would be very difficult to run back upstream over them. In my ten years of wading and fishing the stream, I've never seen a boat with any sort of propulsion system other than oars on the river. I'm not sure if there are restrictions about it, but I do know that the uneven bottom, limestone outcrops, and shallow stretches would probably damage a motor.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

Walt D

Post by Walt D » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:06 pm

I don't think there are restrictions on it. I've seen a zodiac with an outboard motor on it before.

bhigdon

Post by bhigdon » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:34 pm

To my knowledge the only motorized crafts allowed in the river above I35 is TPWD, and rescue craft used by the fire dept.

Walt D

Post by Walt D » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:46 pm

Yeah, that Zodiac was either travis county or austin rescue.

mrovira

Post by mrovira » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:04 am

I don't think a jon boat is practical on the Guad, but I like to put my canoe in at the lower Hwy 306 crossing and float down to River Chase (we live there, and have access via the homeowners' park on the river), about 7 miles downstream.

This makes for a beautiful 4-6 hour run, depending on the flows and the fishing. If there is a major toob hatch you'll do less fishing, but will need more beer (I'm told that #3 Mardi Gras beads in purple and green do well during these hatches). Rainbow Camp (on River Road) is just below River Chase, and will let you take out for a fee. There are other outfitters further downstream that will do the same.

Whitewater Sports is located across the street from where I put in. I have never checked with them, but they may offer shuttle service, too. Or, depending on when you go, I might just join you and let you take out/shuttle with me.

Where would you be coming from?

EdN

Post by EdN » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:26 pm

Bill,
I guess my Father was lucky or the regs changed. He had a place on the Guad about a mile below the Gruene Rd crossing with the end of some rapids at the upper end then the beginning of a long deep pool. He had a small jon boat and from the 50's thru the mid 80's would fish and float down the pool then start up his 2 or 3 hp outboard and motor back up. It seem like there was someone at the other end that would motor up then fish back down to his place. Of course during the whole 30+ years we never saw a game warden or had anybody tell him he couldn't have a motor. However other than using it like he did there isn't much use for a motor on the Guad.
EdN
When the going gets tough, the tough go fishing.