Image Posting Help

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

fichef

Image Posting Help

Post by fichef » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:04 pm

Can someone explain in language that a technophobe can understand how to upload images on a post? I read the FAQ's for posting images on this site but its in a language I don't understand. Now I know why Jimbo never posts any pictures...

Thanks,

Fichef

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:02 pm

First you need a photoserver.

I use http://www.photobucket.com - you get a free gigabite, which at the size we should be posting here is about 10,000 photos.

1) Before you start, crop and/or resize your photo so that it is no more than 600 to 750 pixels wide - then resave it with a new name so that you don't write over your high-resolution original.
The reason you do this is so your photo will fit the screen - otherwise, it till be too big for the screen and will annoy everyone by scrolling the entire thread.

Or, if you're not good at resizing your photos, load them onto photobucket directly (step 2). . Then, from photobucket, if you click on your photo. it will give you the option to resize your uploaded photo down to 640 pixels wide, which is just right (and won't affect the original on your computer).

2) To load your photo, from photobucket Browse your documents to locate the photo, and upload your photo onto photobucket.

3) Copy the IMG Code for your photo and paste it in the message box for your post.

You can also copy the Direct link for your photo, paste it in the message box, highlight it, and click the Img button above the message box.

either way, the argument on your post for your image should look like this:

(but with NO spaces between the img tags and the link; also note that the correct link will end in .jpg)

4)
make sure you scroll to the end of your photo argument and then hit a return (Enter) to stack your photos vertically...
otherwise, they'll line up side-to side and scroll the thread again...

Jimbo shoots film.

I don't know how many photos I have on photobucket, and I am using 6% of my alloted free space, and about 1% of my alloted bandwidth.
If you plan to use it a lot, make sub-folders in photobucket to keep your photos organized - otherwise, you may do a lot of searching to find them...

I even have a bat cave video on photobucket
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v728/ ... ats035.mp4
Last edited by Ron Mc on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
Ron Mc

fichef

Post by fichef » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:02 pm

Thanks, Ron! Even I think I can handle that. You'll know for sure when you see pics of the 22" striper I caught Friday on the Guad.

fichef

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:29 am

Somebody should tell that guy to close his mouth..... flys will get in there! Jimbo

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:16 pm

Looks like the bass bit him!
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:14 pm

topper - just to make sure it doesn't scroll off the board
Ron Mc

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:41 pm

topper again- this should be made a sticky
Ron Mc

Ron Mc

Re: Image Posting Help

Post by Ron Mc » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:08 am

In 5 years that free gig on photobucket has increased to 20G
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:40 pm

I had to go pro on photobucket because I've stored so many pictures and I don't delete any of them.
At least the pictures in all the old stories are supported. By the way I love that picture of the Alfas!

Jimbo

becpa

Post by becpa » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:21 pm

Is there a way to sort them, perhaps by year, or are they stored in the order they were added?

Bill

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:54 pm

Both, You can create like up to 10 albums.
I think each album is sorted by date. The free offer has a maximum number of pictures (maybe 2500).
I started by filling up one album with 2500 pictures. Then I went with their pro program and started creating albums by year.

Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:04 am

might be worth a sticky:
Seeing Past Photobucket Hotlink Block

Unless the OP deleted their photobucket account, every old photobucket image is still linked on this website (and every other place on the internet). Photobucket has chosen to show you a block image instead of the original image.

There are Free Add-Ons available for both Chrome and Firefox, which will let you choose to see the original photo instead of the "ransom block" image, both on this bulletin board and every other internet website.

For Chrome - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... aedg?hl=en

for Firefox - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ket-fixer/

With this, you can see everyone old photobucket images in context on every thread and every website.

Uploading the patch, you're not doing photobucket any favors, giving them any money, agreeing with them - all you're doing is restoring your old knowledge base to where it was before the photobucket ransom

If you want to remove the add on later, go to Add-ons/Extensions and remove or disable it, or with Chrome, just right-click on your toolbar.
Ron Mc

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:05 am

Adding new images, you need a different photoserver than photobucket.
I'm using Imgur, but photobucket is still an easier database for my couple of thousand organized photos than finding them on my hard drives. I download my image from photobucket and upload to Imgur to make a new post.

Another good free Chrome Add-On is ABP (ad blocker plus).
When I open photobucket, ABP blocks 64 ads.
On Imgur, it only has to block 5.

Ron Mc