Leon Creek

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

Walt D

Leon Creek

Post by Walt D » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:42 pm

I went down to Leon Creek this evening and fished a hole on the edge of the golf course. It looks like the best hole I've found so far, with water rolling swiftly from under a bridge into a deep pool. The water is still up but has gone down quite a bit.

Caught in the rolling water on a dark purple bunny. He was a heavy-set fish and put up a good fight.

I'll be making trips to the creek often; its only five minutes away. I'll keep you updated with anything interesting.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:15 pm

fine fish. I love little water.
Just got the family back from a few days on the Llano outside of Junction.
We didn't fish at all. I took one morning and fished the James River, the Little Devil's River and Big Salty Creek in London - it was a great morning.
Ron Mc

Walt D

Leon Creek Update

Post by Walt D » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:23 pm

Caught this one tonight. Hes over 12 inches. Hooked a nicer one but he decided to jump out and throw the hook.

He was sitting next to those rocks on the right bank.

I've also been breaking the rules and using the ultralight spinning reel every once in a while.

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:45 pm

Is this Leon creek in San Antonio? All the parts I see have no water in them, 'cept during rains.

david

Walt D

Post by Walt D » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:25 pm

This is where I'm fishing it. I don't mind showing you exactly where because there's a "catch" to it. I've seen 4 lb bass pulled out with my own eyes and heard of bigger.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie ... 88921&z=14

Danny S

Post by Danny S » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:11 am

I have never fished that area, but I know there are some large fish in hat stection of Leon Creek. Played golf at the Kelly course and was quite surprised at the large fish you could sight cast to.

Walt: Are there any special requirements for access there? I can get on base without a problem (I'm retired USAF).

David: I think that somewhere along the line, Leon Creek must dumps underground, then maybe pops back out? I think there is just about always water in the creek out on Kelly. I don't recall ever seeing it dry.

Walt D

Post by Walt D » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:26 am

Danny S wrote:Walt: Are there any special requirements for access there? I can get on base without a problem (I'm retired USAF).
Nope. As long as you can get on base you can fish it. You can drive on the grass right down to the creek pretty much anywhere. One day I asked an MP where I should park so I could go fishing, he laughed at me and said "Anywhere you want." I have more luck with bass if I stay away from the big park. I think it gets a lot of fishing pressure compared to the other areas.

Just remember its catch and release. You don't want to eat these fish anyway: http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/seafood/Map ... nCreek.pdf People have gotten sick before.

PS - If you catch anything nice send me the pictures!

Danny S

Post by Danny S » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:21 am

Thanks Walt. You're right--I wouldn't eat anything from anywhere near Kelly. Ain't no way! I may have to come out one day and try it.

TrentW

Post by TrentW » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:46 am

I played a round at Fort Sam the other day and brought my 7' glass rod. I saw a cichlid the size of a permit in Salado Creek. I didn't catch Mr. Rio Grande, but caught a few perch at sunset. I broke eighty from the tips, then caught some fish at dusk. (That's golf lingo for you non-golfing fans)
If you are civilian can you still get on Kelly? I played golf there a few years back, but that was with a military friend.
TW

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:24 pm

David: I think that somewhere along the line, Leon Creek must dumps underground, then maybe pops back out? I think there is just about always water in the creek out on Kelly. I don't recall ever seeing it dry
, you may be right Danny S. My nephew just transfered to Lackland and is ready to go fishing. he will be excited to have a place so close to his house on base.. "course, I will blindfold him, get him dizzy and drive him around for an hour.........

david