what's with this ? !!!

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:33 pm

Dale, pm sent

Caught a few little bass and bluegill in the muddy water of the Sabinal yesterday, and could see enough to see most of them rejecting our flies - they were just not turned on.
But the catfish were. They impaled themselves on olive cats whiskers.
This guy hit the fly as soon as it hit the water and blasted all the way across the river ripping drag.
the thing that was cool about this fish was that I didn't do anything - the fly hit the water and my reel started screaming. I lifted the rod and he was halfway across the the wide river - a trip that he completed - it was like catching trout.
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:39 pm

Yeap... same day the North fork was carrying a load of tannin compared to most days up there. The Bass there were turned off also. The Perch, on the other hand, were up in the shallows next to the bank and what little shade there was packed with fish. All the deeper holes seemed like trying to catch fish in a desert. The Hopper was ripped apart by the strikes. You know how durible a foam hopper can be! They destroyed 2 of them ending up legless, hairless and the foam strips coming apart. I fished a Hopper/Dropper a lot. The Hopper caught the most and biggest fish. 8 Bass and 98 Perch. I think I may strained my wrist! Poor little Me! Jimbo

becpa

Post by becpa » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:07 pm

Ron,

Was that your silver 2004 pickup with the "for sale" sign on it parked on River Road in Hunt on Sunday?

If so, did any of the locals get on you about access at that spot?

Bill

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:40 am

Ron drives a red extended cab pickup.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:12 am

and I was fishing Utopia on Sunday
Ron Mc

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:35 am

And he's also very careful about parking and accessing rivers legally and seeking permission when it is warranted.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:30 am

that, too.
I love the landowners at Wagon Wheel crossing.
When we were getting out of the river last Friday, she was driving to town and stopped to ask us how was the fishing. When I spoke with him - guess it's been a few years, he said that he was so blessed to have this land that he didn't feel he had the right to deny anybody access (even though he does).
But even downriver, one of the landowners offered to give us a ride back up to the truck in his four-wheeler (I think he liked to show off the four-wheeler). Great folks.

Back to what Mick said.
Even if you're in the right, it is never worth pressing a dispute with a landowner. Apologize and leave. There are too many nice places to go.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:48 am

I talked to the owners that live on the far side of the crossing (NW) when I was getting in. They were walking their dogs back upriver. They asked me what I was fishing for and of course I said mainly Bass and Perch. They responded that they don't fish much because there aren't many keepers to be caught. I said it didn't matter to me because I practice catch and release on everything and I was just out to have some fun. The light tackle was perfect for the smaller fish and allowed the fish to fight me on a more level playing field. They were very nice! Jimbo

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:48 pm

I fished a bit on the Perd last Saturday, near the LBJ ranch. It was moving pretty good, and over the top of the weir at Ranch Road 1, just upstream from the ranch. Seemed fishable to me downstream, but I only had about an hour to spend there.
Mark Dillow

EdN

Post by EdN » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:21 pm

Ron,
Being unfamliar with the cats whiskers I googled it. There was one from England with marabou at the tail then a chenille body and more marabou up front on the eye side with the eyes being bead chain. Then there was one from fly depot with the same tail but estaz body bead chain eyes and no marabou up front. Is either like what you are fishing?
Ed N

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:20 pm

hi Ed, we'll try this link - it may not work.
If it falls apart, go to the second link and look down the articles list for "The Cat's Meow"

http://www.flyfishohio.com/The_Cat's_Meow.htm

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Article_Gallery2.htm
Ron Mc

EdN

Post by EdN » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:00 pm

Ron,
Thank you for your prompt response. I would imagine there are a few other members out there who will benefit from your post. You were right in that I had to go to the second link. I still remember seeing the pictures your daughter took of that big rainbow last winter at Rocking R right after you all were getting out and I was stringing up. Your timing that day was good as by the time I got in the wind was blowing my line back in my face. Thanks again and by the way it looks more like the English version.
Ed N

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:51 pm

I'll tell you Ron has made me a convert to using this fly. I really haven't fished it for Trout yet, but one thing for sure the Bass and Perch love it. It also doesn't spin in the water like most Woolly Buggers do and twist up your leader. I love to fish Woolly Buggers but now I think I will be fishing them less and Cat's Whiskers MORE !!! Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:25 am

Jimbo, I tie them hook-down for trout, and also just tied them with a tungsten bead head, which is a very quick fly.

the thing about the first link is the apostrophe in Cat's Meow falls apart on php-board syntax - it works fine on ezboard.
Ron Mc

EdN

Post by EdN » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:06 pm

Ron,
Thanks again for your help but especially after reading your reply to Jimbo I have a couple of questions. When you say you tie it hook down does that mean you move the wing to the top side of the hook and it seems the location of the wing is the biggest difference in the way you tie the cats whisker as opposed to David Trains version. Is one reason you put the wing on the gap side of the hook is that with the hair wing, it gives the fly somewhat of a weedless feature or do you just prefer the looks.
Thanks
EdN