what's with this ? !!!

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

Ron Mc

what's with this ? !!!

Post by Ron Mc » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:59 pm

broke in my new/old Bean/Phillipson 6'6" midge rod today.

Fishing beautiful tight water in the TX hill country - the convergence of the Guadalupe forks
nice yellow belly - yep, they're supposed to be there

Big catfish - that was a hoot
and many little spotted bass - probably a hundred for the day
more pretty water

but I was absolutely floored to catch an 18" rainbow

the best we can figure, Bear Creek, about 10 miles upriver is all private and one of the landowners stocks rainbows in the winter.
But still, very surprising for a June fishing trip in the Texas hill country. We measured the water temperature - 76 oF right here,
but we found many cold spring vents on the way up.

Jimbo knows what fly I was using. :mrgreen:
Ron Mc

pav

Post by pav » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:57 pm

AMazing good trip
put off everything to go flyfishing

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:28 pm

That was the biggest surprise you could imagine. I was fishing next to Ron and he calls out "I've got a good Bass" and that it really not that unusual to hear him say that. Then he says " It's a really GOOD BASS ..... No wait it must be a big Catfish". I started to take notice. Then he Hollers out, " It's a Rainbow". I spun around and headed for Ron with my camera. Sure enough there is this big Rainbow, probably more like 19", and Ron has this big grin on his face, "Get the picture with my camera fast before I lose him, because noone will believe me that I caught him here". So I took several pictures and I will verify that Ron caught this big Rainbow on the North fork of the Guadalupe above the confluence with the South Fork, where noone in our party even dreamed of catching a Rainbow this June,24,2007. We all caught a lot of good fish mainly Bass and Perch on Grasshoppers and Catwhiskers. And if you have to ask which fly Ron was fishing you don't know Ron! (Here's a hint, it wasn't a Grasshopper!) It was a Glorious Day !!! Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:15 pm

the fish was fat and had great color.
it swam off strong.
Ron Mc

Danny S

Post by Danny S » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:33 am

Nice fish. Must have been a very nice surprise to hook into that bow. Had sort of an opposite experience on an OK river. Fishing for rising browns, and bringing in quite a few. Then all of a sudden I thought I got into a huge brown, only to land it--an 18" walleye.

What line do use with that rod, Ron? 3 wt; maybe 4?

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:08 am

Danny, I fish a sinking line 98% of the time for warmwater, and about half of the time for coldwater. Teeny T130 or BS100 depending on the rod, and this rod gets the BS100. In the deep holes, rod tip in the water; in the shallow riffles, tip up and wet fly swing.
I believe the rod is rated for a 6-wt, but glass rods tend to be pretty forgiving with a wide band of line weights, so I'm sure it would fish a 4-wt. Even thought I didn't fish it with a floating line yesterday, I had a reel with a short-belly WF5 along. I like the "starter" lines, Teeny First Cast and SA Head Start for short rods in small water.
Ron Mc

Danny S

Post by Danny S » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:29 am

Thought you likely used one of your sinking lines. I have a 6.5' 4wt that I love using in tight quarters or smaller waters but have never put a sinking line on it. Guess I'll have to break it out; I know it's on a spool somewhere in one of my "fishing" containers.
Last edited by Danny S on Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:33 am

I was the only one of our group fishing a sinking line yesterday - grasshoppers and poppers were working just fine, too.

There are some nice little "trolling holes" moving up the north fork - waist-deep runs with a stiff flow where the only effective way to fish them is to stand above and fish straight down with a sinking line - this also lets you prospect along the deep cypress roots.
Then the top of Schumacher's lake right below the convergence. This is big deep water, and structure fishing with the sinking line works best; although, the flat between the mouth of the south fork and the top of Schumacher's lake often has good bass that are up out of the lake to hunt.

I caught the rainbow on a countdown and fast strips in big deep slow water. It was up against the cut bank and bluff, which probably has many cold springs coming in. Where Jimbo measured the water temperature was on the tailout gravel bar - where we could wade, and bound to be the warmest water in the hole.
It still sounds strange to say rainbow - I felt absolutely stupid yelling it over to Jimbo yesterday.
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:16 pm

Just goes to show you..... You never know... till you go !!! Jimbo

pav

Warm Water Trout Mutant

Post by pav » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:09 pm

do you think that it is a mutant warmwater trout?
Paul
put off everything to go flyfishing

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:28 pm

no, but with the spring flows we have this year, I believe she could survive in that spot until next summer.

the historic records of Spanish landholders indicate this water probably held Rio Grande cutthroats 200 years ago, finally removed by the natural climate change and one of our famous droughts.
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:29 pm

Well I have finally figured out where the Rainbow came from I think. I talked to my friends who live on Bear Creek and they have not stocked any Rainbows for 4 or 5 years, so it could not be one of their's. I started to think who else might think that stocking Rainbows somewhere above Hunt would be fun. I thought of the Hill Country Flyfishers. So I posted a topic on their forums and finally was put in touch with Rick Wilson. Sure enough, they have been stocking Rainbows, about 300 this year on the North Fork of the Guadalupe. So This fish was probably from their stocking earlier this year. Rick said he was surprised that one was still around this late in the year with all the rain that has been falling in the area. Still I told him, all one has to do is find some cold springs in the river and hang out there to make it through the summer. Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:34 pm

kismith and I fished nearby yesterday, but the flows were too high to make it up the north fork, so we drove up to some of the wider water (120 cfs - it's back down to 40 cfs today). The water was up a foot at the Hunt crossing pool, making the wade across, um, stimulating. He caught a fine catfish and the king bass of the last south fork pool.
We fished water that looked like Mississippi iced tea, but had a great day and caught fish.
look, Jimbo, it drove me to a floating line and slider

also took him to see the headwater springs - this is where the Guadalupe comes out of the ground.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:44 pm

Did you see the mark I left in the corner of his jaw from 2 weeks ago?.... Ha Ha Ha !!! I still haven't fished since then and I'll be headed there tomorrow. I hope it doesn't rain much tonight or tomorrow because I'm going and my car doesn't have much ground clearance or is that freeboard for all those low water crossings? I'll be leaving a little later than your normal schedule. If your free, look for my R32 or Mike's Nissan truck, we'll be up there clicking away on the counters. Jimbo

dale_connally

Post by dale_connally » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:40 am

Anybody driven past the Pedernales lately...I assume it is rockin' and rollin' like the rest?
Thanks,
Dale