Llano River Fishing

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

mmcan

Llano River Fishing

Post by mmcan » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:35 pm

Lifetime TU member and new to GRTU out of Dallas.

Will be fishing in the area (and having a beer or 2 in Gruene, Bandera, Castroville, as we waltz across texas to the coast) May 5, 6,...07. Any and all bass will be sought with light weight fly rods.

Have not fished this area in many years, however, and woud like any comments about the Llano in particular, kayaking and fly fishing along the way.

Planning on hitting Junction, but any details you can provide are appreciated.

Fish On!

Thanks!

Mark Cancemi

dale_connally

Post by dale_connally » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:19 am

Fished the Llano last week...spectacular day. Water was in great shape, weather was near perfect and fish were cooperative. We did the James/Simonsville stretch. Dos Rios RV gave us a reasonable shuttle. Lots of small but colorful fish, and an unexpected close encounter with a couple of Apache helicopters during our lunch break!
Have fun,
Dale

mmcan

Re; Llano river

Post by mmcan » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:46 am

Thanks for the response.

We are looking forward to the trip!

mark

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:28 am

Dale:

What watercraft were you using -- canoes? kayaks? Any suggestions or preferences there?

Thanks!
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

mmcan

Post by mmcan » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:00 pm

We are grabbing/buying WS tarpon 160i's in Austin, a little long for a kayak for the Llano, I understand, but we'll be spending a lot of time on the coast, in shallow bays, as well as in the surf a bit. My brother lives in Galveston, and on good days, he'll paddle out to the closest rigs and fish. That's why we're going with the longer model. Also I like to striper fish on Texoma, and that can get a little choppy at times.

I am curious about rod size. I have seen 6 wts to 8 wts recommended, but is that a little large for the size fish we should expect to catch on the river? We will have an assortment in our truck, but I would rather go smaller if you don't think I'll need the heavier sticks. I like to fish deer hair plugs, but can usually get those out with my 5 weight.

Do you have any camping areas you might recommend as well? We might just find a cheap motel, but I like sleeping on the river if possible, especially if there is a shower available.

Thanks again.

mark

dale_connally

Post by dale_connally » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:17 pm

We used 8' pontoons with fins and oars. Water was ideal for them at 185 cfs...could shoot rapids, only had to walk a couple of spots. I took a 4 wt this trip. Perfect for fish. I'd watch the wind forecast...if it had been windier, I would have taken a 5 or 6.

chuck_vance

Post by chuck_vance » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:44 am

mmcan wrote:
Do you have any camping areas you might recommend as well? We might just find a cheap motel, but I like sleeping on the river if possible, especially if there is a shower available.

Thanks again.

mark
FWIW, I was looking for a campground in March and found this one: http://www.llanorivercamping.com/ It's about 10 miles northeast of Junction, and the folks who run it will do shuttles for you (they may even be free if you stay at the campground). It's on a bluff overlooking the river and cost $20 a night. They have a covered shelter, showers, electric hookups.

Here's a view from the campsite: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/llano.jpg

When I was there, there were heavy rain/hailstorms, and the water turned muddy but had cleared pretty well within a few hours. Fishing was slow while I was there, but the water just looked "fishy". (And a guy who had been fishing before the storm hit said he'd had good luck all along that stretch of river.)

I'll be staying there again for sure.

Chuck Vance (no affiliation, etc.)