Tejas Camp

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

portalto

Tejas Camp

Post by portalto » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:25 pm

There are a lot of nice white bass at Tejas Camp. I fished down by the low water bridge downstream about a mile. Caught lots of whites, carp and gar. Some people even caught a couple of nice hybrids. Beautiful clear water.

Rob from Shasta

Post by Rob from Shasta » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:52 pm

Sounds good. San Gabriel above Granger was a bust for me today (see other post, too muddy and high), maybe I'll head there this weekend.
All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish. ~Harold F. Blaisdell, The Philosophical Fisherman, 1969

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:16 pm

I'll be up there tomorrow - maybe I'll see you.
Ron Mc

Rob from Shasta

Post by Rob from Shasta » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:10 pm

If I smell a cigar, I'll follow the scent!
All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish. ~Harold F. Blaisdell, The Philosophical Fisherman, 1969

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:06 pm

it was a hoot today. I caught 30, filleted 19 , all males, all 12-14"

it's early in the run...

I doubt if I can get back there, but the big males and females haven't come up yet.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:59 am

Way to go, Ron. There's nothing like the combination of experience, expertise, and being in the right place at the right time.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

velo49

Post by velo49 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:16 am

Ron, Is it best to go up or down stream from the low water crossing? I haven't been there in years, but might be able to go this Wed.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:01 am

There are fish right in front of Tejas Camp, and there are bound to be some upriver, as well. Yesterday, the larger fish were donwriver in the wider deeper runs, but the upriver pods were more concentrated and easier to catch (also to see).
I don't know you if know where the "sunken" low water bridge is at, but that is the head of the lake this year.
The water is Clear, so I recommend gray and olive flies - we had no luck on sandy brown. (My first 17 fish were on one all-gray cats whisker before I finally broke it off.) We got into a couple of 16" males, but by far, most of the fish we caught were 14". I caught one 10" fish, and about a dozen 12"s.
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:42 am

As they say, reports are nothing without pictures! I always get chastized for the lack of photo evidence since I usually fish alone. When I fishing with my buddies they always seem to be conveniently too busy or too far away to take pictures of me. Or is they don't want to take a picture of me holding 20+" Trout so they can say later, "Ah Jimbo, It wasn't that big". If I could just print my memories!!!

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:48 am

hey, I e-mailed you the photos.

check mouth for gray cats whisker

I was only keeping fish that were as long as the bottom of my stripping basket, which is 14". I kept the first 12" fish (bad luck to turn back the first keeper), and I kept another 12" fish that I gilled.

16" white bass
Image gray cats whisker in mouth
(btw, this fish is still in there - Ted dropped it while fumbling with his stringer)
Last edited by Ron Mc on Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ron Mc

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:31 pm

Nice Post Ron. I hope I can get there this weekend! Is it better in the AM vs PM, or just as good mid day?
Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:39 pm

MXman93 wrote:Nice Post Ron. I hope I can get there this weekend! Is it better in the AM vs PM, or just as good mid day?
Yesterday, we found the fishing better in the morning, tapering off about 11am. We were done by 2pm (started filleting) and it seemed the fishing was picking up again about 3pm. I caught 17 fish in the first 2 hours, and 13 fish in the next 4 hours. We also had an overcast day, which extends the "morning" fishing.

the best way to catch copious white bass is to explore the water, find the structure that concentrates the pods, then return 1-2 hours before sunrise and fish blue flies.
You will be hooked up on more casts than not.

these fish (11) were caught in one hour before sunrise above Medina, Good Friday 2005
I caught two more fish in the next 2 hours.

BTW, Jimbo, my hands are sore today from catching fish.
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:07 pm

I bet they are, sore that is! I got the e-mail, but I think everybody should see your pics of your trips, they're usually very good! I hope to finally get some time where I can join in the fun on Sundays one of these weeks. Everyone can see what a great trip I missed this past weekend. Unfortunately in the Real Estate business Saturdays and Sundays are worth any other three days combined. The lament of a working flyfishing Bum. Jimbo

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:17 pm

I hear you Jimbo on the working fly fishing bum!!! Between work and marriage, my flyfishing time has been cut quite a bit. But the marriage part is worth it :D
Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:34 pm

what Jimbo was referring to is the fly fishing life group that I head up in my church - we go to Sat. Nite church (we're very spoiled) and fish about every other Sunday morning.

here's the link to our photo albums:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/cbcflyfish/albums/
(they're the most fun if you pick an album and click "slideshow"

and here's the link to the life group information:
http://www.sportslifesa.com/
pick outdoor/ fly fishing

we always have great fun
it's not limited to our church (or any church) members - anyone is welcome to join us - send me an e-mail.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc