Hill Country Rivers

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:25 pm

70 is an incredible number anywhere, anyday, I wish I would have gone along. I need one of those fiberglass flyrods too.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:25 pm

you need to go back after megasmalliezilla with 8-lb. fluorocarbon and a cat's whisker - and a camera. :P .
Ron Mc

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:28 pm

Jimbo, I got ahold of one of Andy's 7'ers. It's a really useful rod - more so than the 6'. I guess there are a few places the 6' can't be beat, but the 7' rod will fish almost anywhere in the hill country. It's a rocket with a soft tip. A really great-casting rod. In the back yard this afternoon, I was punching out 50' against the north wind.
Ron Mc

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:29 am

But did you catch anything?
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:54 pm

I was taking coup on my dogs.
Ron Mc

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:29 pm

My answer would have been "grass carp."
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:08 pm

I went back yesterday looking for that big smallie. But first I started down stream at Bezdek's. Walked up stream and fished from the weir back downstream. The fishing was slower than before. Mick told me about the H2S problem and it may be affecting even the fishing downstream. I did see 1 dead Bass float by about 3pm. I caught a fair number (about 40) of Bass and Perch before breaking for some BQ. After eating I decided to fish around Rio. The water looked good the temperature was 70 at 5pm. It was totally dead. I fished under the bridge and......."ZEROED"....... That hasn't happened in a long time. I fished a little upstream and caught just 1 Bass and 1 Perch. I didn't stay long and left a little early. I drove downstream and thought about fishing some other access' but decided to give them a break too. I was thinking about H2S and hoping it had not wiped out the Upper Guadalupe. It may have just been the approaching Cold front, I don't know. More to be learned later. Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:49 pm

could have been the butterfly munch.
they were sure rising to them last weekend. Little bass I was catching had distended bellies from eating butterflies. Mike tied on a red popper and tore them up...

http://www.favoriteflies.com/
take a look at Alec's moth patterns at the bottom of his webpage.
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:05 am

While I was there in the afternoon, the butterflies were flying over in waves and I didn't see any fish rising to them. I few fish hit my indicator, so I tied on a surface popper. I would catch one or two, but after that nothing consistant. I caught most mine on Dave's and wooly buggers. Still good fishing for about 3 hours down at the chute.

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:38 am

what is the story on H2S?
Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:01 pm

Hydrogen Sulfide, a product of decomposition in deep water. It is very reactive with oxygen and sucks the oxygen out of the water. There were some suspected high concentrations below the dam. Steve Magnelia is studying the problem and TPWD and GRTU will be doing some tests in the river to determine the extent of the concentrations in the Guadalupe. Jimbo

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:22 pm

First news about the H2S in the river is good. Steve Magnelia decided to put some Trout in cages to see if they would survive and they came through just fine. So maybe it's not going to be a problem. We'll probably be doing some more tests in the coming weeks and I'll post that information when it becomes available. Jimbo

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:28 pm

Thanks.
Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:32 pm

camping overnight tomorrow night and fishing Nueces Canyon
http://www.chalkbluffpark.com/history1.html
let you know how it goes.

well, it seems the water gets hit hard here. I saw a couple of huge spotted bass, but was catching 8" to 12" fish. Not complaining, because it was beautiful country and a great campout. My dad came along - and he was happy with a dozen fish for his efforts. He's 77 and still the strongest man I know

he waded down (and back up) about a mile-and-a-half with me to find this beautiful oxbow
Ron Mc

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:22 pm

A day to remember! I treasure every time I get to spend with my dad in the outdoors (or indoors for that matter). These pics will spark those good memories for years to come.
Mark Dillow