Hill Country Rivers

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:11 am

Ron:

I'm happy to see anyone catch a nice fish like that, whatever the rod. I'll have to take a look at that fly the next time we're together.

Mick
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:02 am

going through my fly box, I'm going to have to tie some.
Maybe I'll set up the camera, too.
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:00 pm

Hey Ron..... What do you charge for a dozen Cat's Whisker's and other secret flys? Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:28 pm

also waiting on some fox fur from B Marriotts.

sell them? heck, and all this time I've been giving them away.
Ron Mc

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:42 pm

You need to get your Arctic Fox from Waters West in Port Angeles, WA. Dave Steinbaugh has whole, half, and quarter fox tails in a wide range of colors for little more than those Arctic Fly Fur slices you get from Marriott's. Check it out at http://www.waterswest.com/index.htm.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:55 pm

I went fishing again on the Guadalupe on Friday and the fish were really turned on. I slept in, no big surprise for those that know me, and didn't get in the water till 1 pm. It was a sunny day, so fishing the shadows was the best strategy. The wind was up and I was using a 9' 5wt to nymph fish. Any place shadows cast by the trees or cliffs were on water with 2-3' of depth, the Perch were stacked up and some nice ones too. Anyway, the event of the day while fishing under the bridge at Rio. I cast to a likely pocket, Mick you know the one, and I hooked a nice little Perch. As I pulled him to the surface a brown shadow shot out of the hole he was hideing in. It was a 20"+ Smallmouth. My first instinct was to pull it away for the Smallmouth which resulted in the Perch being skittered across the surface of the water. The Smallmouth followed and attacked again. I then thought to myself, let it have him. I dropped the rod tip and the Smallie had no problem swallowing the Perch. Mind you this was a 6-7" Perch so you know the Smallie was BIG. I let the Smallie run with the Perch for a few seconds and then brought the line tight again. Once the fish felt the pressure It took off upstream. The reel was scream'in. This lasted about 30-40' and then the line went limp. I reeled back in the fly. I studied the tippet and could clearly see the abrasions about 6" about the fly left by the Smallie's jaw. Apparently the Smallie had held on to the Perch, but the hook in the Perch pulled free. Still It was thrilling to have it on. You never know what might surprise you when you go Perch fishing and sometimes it does just that! Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:05 pm

I had a Spotted bass swallow a 5" bluegill on me earlier this year. After 3 trips around the pool, he spit the bluegill and I released it in fairly good shape. But when I went back, couldn't find the fish again.

Went with another bud exploring several crossings on the Pedernales between Fredericksburg and Harper this morning.
good time
Image 17"
I caught this fish twice (bet you can guess what fly I was using).

and pretty places

Ewell is hooked up down there - he broke off a bass that he said was the largest he's ever had on a flyrod, and he's landed some fine ones...
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:45 pm

That is pretty water. I love to fish those clear hill country rivers.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:22 pm

it rained last night and the lower crossings were chocolate. We saw some big fish sign at the chocolate crossings, though and Ewell had big bass cut his leader on the granite - he said he's going to use wire tippet on the Pedernales from now on. :) (I think he means it.)

we were in the last couple of public access crossings upriver to find clear water. Drove over some of the private water and drooled - saw big bass sitting right under the bridges.

The rod is made by a friend in CT. He found a supply of new-old-stock Conolon glass blanks and it's a reproduction of the Garcia Lee Wulf 6' 1-piece 5/6-wt.
http://p097.ezboard.com/ffiberglassflyr ... =195.topic
I keep telling you graphite guys that you don't want a 2/3-wt. for this work
Last edited by Ron Mc on Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:01 pm

Those are cool little rods. Next time I sell a house I think I'm going to have to pick one up, even though I have already bought this year's rod! I always wished that I could have saved an old Fenwick fiberglass flyrod to use now when fishing these tight little rivers and streams that are all over the hill country. I had some Garcia rods too but they were all spinning or baitcasting and long since passed to the city dump. Ah the fond memories of youth and riding a bicycle down to Woodlawn lake or Salado Creek. Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:20 am

I have an FF605, and this is a Much better rod than the Fenwick.
The Lee Wulff replica will roll cast with aplomb, and the little Fenwick will not roll cast well at all. (lined up, lined down, doesn't matter - it just doesn't have the backbone for it)
You know me, I have an arsenal of these, Para/Metric 6'3", Phillipson 6'. It's also a better rod than the Para/Metric. Only the Phillipson gives it a run for its money.
Ron Mc

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:52 pm

here's a review of Andy's rod in Fly Fish Ohio
http://www.flyfishohio.com/Garcia_2070_Reproduction.htm
Ron Mc

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:11 pm

my dad has always said you can't catch fish in a north wind.
found 70 spotted bass today that never got the memo...
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:56 pm

I fished with Corby after we had finished with the trash removal Saturday. Remember me telling you about a 20"+ Smallmouth that swallowed the Perch I hooked while Perch jerking. Well it got the better of me again or at least a fish of similar size in the same spot. This time I hooked the fish and it immediately swam into a brush pile and broke me off. 4lb Line was no match for "Ole Lockjaw". I was using my new Sage 580 XP and it's nice casting, fast, and powerful. I broke another sizeble fish off and wore out another Dave's Red Squirrel. I feel bad when others around me aren't catching as many as I am. I even gave Corby one of my magic nymphs to help him catch a few. He seemed more content to nap in the shade with his girl. I had a good time fishing from about 2pm till 7pm. Saw 50+ in my rear view and was content myself. The water was amazingly clear after all the people in the water to pick up trash. I must say there was very little trash to pick up and now the river is very pristine. Almost looked like it did back in the 60's and 70's before it became so popular with the tubing crowd. Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:07 pm

the upper river was a blast in that cool blast (went to a section of the river with bluffs and cypress tunnels so we were sheltered from the wind).

But the spotted bass were out of the holes and up in the deeper riffles. Roll cast, swing, and lift the rod tip. Fish after fish.
Ron Mc