Flyfisher vs Bass Master?

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

Coconut Groves

Post by Coconut Groves » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:54 pm

Troutbum - on the topic, all very well made points and very well taken. If you and me went head to head, baitcaster in my hand, flyrod in yours, 100% of what you said is true. Now if Rolan Martin or Bill Dance went up against you, well, that'd make a great TV show! Hey, anyone out there listening? :)

Btw, props to releasing your tarpon. I agree that was the way to go.

Keith
"Strip... Strip... Strip...... Fish On!"

troutbum

Post by troutbum » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:51 am

There's a neat show floating around on OLN, can't remember which or who was on it, but the guide fishes for shoalies and smallies in this big lake. They're throwing worms or something, then he pulls up to a gravel point about ten feet deep and whips out a fly rod...and proceeds to crush them.

I'll talk to Roland this weekend and see if he's up for it!
As long as we're not fishing that pond he does all his shows on, you know, the one in his back yard!
Wait, that might a good thing, I bet his pet fish have never seen a fly!

I could even use an eight foot fly rod to make it "BASS" legal.
Fish Hard, Fish Safe!
Capt. Scott
www.flyfishingtexas.com

Coconut Groves

Post by Coconut Groves » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:25 am

Before I got into flyfishing 6 years ago (late bloomer, Dad and Grandfather were huge bass fisherman) I had made the switch to ultralight tackle. I'd be fishing with my friends or family, even out of the middle of the boat, and would outcatch everyone else using heavier tackle. My friends switched over to ultralight as well, mainly because I was always outfishing them and they were sick of hearing my drag go off! Getting them to switch over to flyfishing has been tougher though - some consider it a "snobs" sport. But hey, that is another topic and holy war, huh? :)
"Strip... Strip... Strip...... Fish On!"

troutbum

Post by troutbum » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:35 pm

Naw, man. It's just fishin'.
Fish Hard, Fish Safe!
Capt. Scott
www.flyfishingtexas.com

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:01 pm

That's like saying Cooper's is just food... :lol:
Mark Dillow

Rob from Shasta

Post by Rob from Shasta » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:03 am

I thought I'd do an easy informal local test...

The subjects were Bluegills however, not Bass...

When our current little heat wave began, I went down to a local spot with spin gear and my flyrod, on two seperate days

In two hours, one hour with flys and one hour with spin gear, the spin gear (small spinners and jigs) resulted in 12 fish and the flys (foam bugs, poppers, and little beadheads) resulted in six. The second day essentially had the same results.

One interesting point though. The water was clear, and I could see and feel that I actually got more action (hits but not takes) from the flies. The flies would have at leat three followers, but the spinners would have maybe one. Maybe it was a technique issue I need to work on, to set the hooks faster or something...

(in case any of you are worried, 17 of 18 that first day were released relatively unharmed. One did like "the old lady who swallowed a fly...I guess he'll die...")